[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Monitor destruction was Wild claims about copy protection

lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) (10/23/90)

In article <35131@cup.portal.com>, ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) writes:
> Yes, some monitors CAN be ruined by misprogramming the Video Control chip
> on the video adaptor. [The 6845 registers] must be setup properly in as
> little time as possible or you risk overloading the beam control circuitry
> in the monitor....
>
> The main consideration seems to be the sync timing. Get it off too far and
> the deflection circuits saturate, leading to possible overload of the
> high voltage transformer.

Yep, I have dead proof (as opposed to living proof) that monitors can fry
when you don't talk to them nicely.

I just fried a monochrome monitor by using a defective floppy controller
card.  It was weird: on every disk access the sync signals to the monitor
would stop or go crazy causing awful sounds to come from the monitor.  After
about 15 disk accesses the monitor died and would not work at all.  I should
have shut down as soon as I saw what was happening.  The monitor is a cheapy
Samsung green screen about 4 years old.  Any clues on how to fix this one?

J. Greg Lloyd
Systems Application Engineering
3655 Westcenter Dr.  Houston, TX 77042
lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com    ph: (713) 274-5260