[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] sVGA 1024x768x256 Any recomendations? 8514?

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) (10/23/90)

EGA was standard, then came VGA, but what do I do about purchasing a
sVGA card?  I would like a 1024x768x256 card to match my monitor,
non-interlaced if possible.  I've seen "8514A" thrown around, but not
many compatible cards.  There are tricky ads claiming "1024x768x256 on
a 8514 montitor".  But that is NOT the same.  I realize cards include
drivers, but I would like to just select 8514 in DrawPerfect and other
future packages, and be done with it.  Any suggestions?  Are the
boards very fast?  I think Paradise has a 8514 board.  -Pete

beckman@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (10/23/90)

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) writes:

>            I would like a 1024x768x256 card to match my monitor,
>non-interlaced if possible.  I've seen "8514A" thrown around, but not
>many compatible cards.  There are tricky ads claiming "1024x768x256 on
>a 8514 montitor".  But that is NOT the same.  I realize cards include
>drivers, but I would like to just select 8514 in DrawPerfect and other
>future packages, and be done with it.  Any suggestions?  Are the
>boards very fast?  I think Paradise has a 8514 board.  -Pete

	The problem you face exists because the only widely accepted
VGA standard is that of the low-end VGA as included on the PS/2 series.
Functionality and resolution beyond that level requires special drivers
appropriate to your controller for each and every package you choose to
run at that higher level.

	The industry group (VESA?) that has attempted to define a Super VGA
standard (at the 800x600 level) has, reportedly, yet to complete their
work or come to full agreement. All this may be mooted with IBM's latest
XGA, which pushes the specs to 1024x768 or thereabouts. If XGA is accepted
as a defacto standard (as CGA, EGA, VGA were) then we may yet see the day
when your off-the-shelf software includes standard high-res drivers for
your standard high-res video controller.