[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Whether to buy a Miniscribe or ST296N?

KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) (10/15/90)

I am upgrading my Seagate 251-1 for a larger hard disk and have similarly
priced offers for the Seagate 296N (SCSI) and a 80 MB Miniscribe (ATIDE).
I would appreciate any comments about the reliability and quality of these
two drives. I know they are not the quality of a Quantum or similar stuff
but the price is an important factor for me.

So far as I can see, the ST296N would be nice because it can coexist my
251-1 which the Miniscribe offering can hardly do, while on the other hand
Minisribe is faster (seek time 19 ms).

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (10/15/90)

KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) writes:

>I am upgrading my Seagate 251-1 for a larger hard disk and have similarly
>priced offers for the Seagate 296N (SCSI) and a 80 MB Miniscribe (ATIDE).
>I would appreciate any comments about the reliability and quality of these
>two drives. I know they are not the quality of a Quantum or similar stuff
>but the price is an important factor for me.

I know nothing about IDE drives - but I do however have several friends
running IDE drives under both DOS and Unix - and they work quite well.

I would go with the Miniscribe and stay away from the Seagate if at
all possible...

 {larry@nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry@ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct15.121233.7334@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) writes:
>
>I would go with the Miniscribe and stay away from the Seagate if at
>all possible...

Unless Miniscribe has really cleaned up their act (and their
upper-level management, from the news storier I read) I'd
reommend...

	a) take Larry's advice and stay away from Seagate;

	b) take this advice and stay away from Miniscribe;

leaving you approximately...

	c) Nowhere!

Sorry 'bout that!

kEITHe