[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Trouble with partition and DOS 4.xx

Ingvar.Strand@ext.luth.se (Ingvar Strand) (10/19/90)

Hi,
I have been trying to change dos, from 3.30 to 4.01, and when
I'm at it also change the size of the dos partition. (from 32M to 44M)
This has however been a total fiasco.  The computer just wont boot from
the HD.  I have tryed several combinations with FDISK, FORMAT and
DISK MANAGER (form both dos 3.30 and 4.01) but the respons is usually
just the ROM-BASIC starting up, or a message saying "Invalid Partition Table"
I was under the impression that one could have partitiones larger than 32M
with dos 4.xx but now I might have to reconsider.
Anyway I would appreciate any help and/or hint with this problem.

/Ingvar               (ingsa@ext.luth.se)

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (10/21/90)

In article <1539@hagbard.dc.luth.se>, Ingvar.Strand@ext.luth.se (Ingvar Strand) writes...
>Hi,
>I have been trying to change dos, from 3.30 to 4.01, and when
>I'm at it also change the size of the dos partition. (from 32M to 44M)
>This has however been a total fiasco.  The computer just wont boot from
>the HD.  I have tryed several combinations with FDISK, FORMAT and
>DISK MANAGER (form both dos 3.30 and 4.01) but the respons is usually
>just the ROM-BASIC starting up, or a message saying "Invalid Partition Table"
>I was under the impression that one could have partitiones larger than 32M
>with dos 4.xx but now I might have to reconsider.
>Anyway I would appreciate any help and/or hint with this problem.
>
>/Ingvar               (ingsa@ext.luth.se)

	A basic error to make is to forget to remove the existing partitions from the disk with dos
3.3 prior to trying to install dos 4.01 via its fdisk. THEY ARE NOT!! COMPATIBLE! I've been
bitten by this one myself, so I speak from experience. If you get it too messed up - try
starting from scratch with a new low level format. And make sure that you use the FDISK
supplied with th e proper version of dos, again - they are NOT compatible!

	/s/	Bob Gettys

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (10/21/90)

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) writes:
>In article <1539@hagbard.dc.luth.se>, Ingvar.Strand@ext.luth.se (Ingvar Strand) writes...
>>Hi,
>>I have been trying to change dos, from 3.30 to 4.01, and when
>>I'm at it also change the size of the dos partition. (from 32M to 44M)
>>This has however been a total fiasco.  The computer just wont boot from
>>the HD.  I have tryed several combinations with FDISK, FORMAT and

>A basic error to make is to forget to remove the existing partitions from the disk with dos
>3.3 prior to trying to install dos 4.01 via its fdisk. THEY ARE NOT!! COMPATIBLE! I've been

My experience has even been that you have to format the disk prior to
install dos 4.x. I tried to make the disk bootable with Norton Disk
doctor. It resulted in a desaster: After 2 days work with Dos 4 suddenly
partition table, boot sector, FAT and root directory on the first
partition became overwritten by a file that I wanted to write to
the second partition.

I continue using Dos 3.3.

Does anybody know a way to uprade DOS without loosing all data ?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Tel 07641/48652
BITNET   : HAKL@DFRRUF1
Internet : HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de

Ingvar.Strand@ext.luth.se (Ingvar Strand) (10/23/90)

In my previous article I had problems with the partitioning of the
hard disk.  The problem is now solved, I simply forgot to activate
the partition.  I have two hard disks s} it wasn't any problem saving
all the files, I ziped all files on the two HD:s in order to have as
much free space as possible, and then moved all files to one of them
while formatting the other, and vice versa.
So things works just fine now.

Ingvar

mgphl@msa3b.UUCP (Michael Phillips) (10/23/90)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

>gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) writes:
>>In article <1539@hagbard.dc.luth.se>, Ingvar.Strand@ext.luth.se (Ingvar Strand) writes...
>>>Hi,
>>>I have been trying to change dos, from 3.30 to 4.01,[...cut...]
>>3.3 prior to trying to install dos 4.01 via its fdisk. THEY ARE NOT!! COMPATIBLE! I've been

>My experience has even been that you have to format the disk prior to
>install dos 4.x. I tried to make the disk bootable with [...cut...]
>Does anybody know a way to uprade DOS without loosing all data ?

Hmmm.... It's been my experience that BACKUP preserves most data quite well;
in fact, IBM even makes *new*format* RESTORE programs COMPATIBLE with *old*
BACKUP formats!

I also generally find that upgrade time (such as 3.3 to 4.0) is also a good
time to reorganize directories, etc. which, by the way, BACKUP and RESTORE
do quite SAFELY... slowly, for sure, but safely.

Michael

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) (10/25/90)

In article HAKL@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de writes:
>Does anybody know a way to uprade DOS without loosing all data ?

Try the SYS command

Manual Entry (changes between DOS3.3 and DOS4)
	Transfers the operating System files, IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM, from
	the source drive to the target drive
--
Greg Calkin, Systems Engineer and Dreamer                    (greg@tcnz.co.nz)
Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited, PO Box 24, Auckland CPO, New Zealand, Ph (09)-793920