[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] RLL vs IDE

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (10/12/90)

Hello,

I am in the market for a drive, but I cannot decide whether to go with RLL
or IDE. I am aware of the specs (embedded controller on IDEs and the like)
however my system (a 10MHz 286) does not have on board IDE connectors. And
since both types of drives will have to go through the AT bus, is there any
advantage(s) of choosing IDE over RLL?
My alternatives so far include a Toshiba MK134 with a WD1006SRV, and either
a Conner or Maxtor IDE drives (the 80MB models).
Thanks in advance,

Vassilios E. Axaris

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/13/90)

In article <40277@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) writes:
|My alternatives so far include a Toshiba MK134 with a WD1006SRV, and either
|a Conner or Maxtor IDE drives (the 80MB models).

The Toshiba MK134 is the best 40/60 MB disk drive in the world.
If you can afford it and the capacity is right for you, it will
make you very happy. If you need a bigger one, check out the
MK234.

Conner and Maxtor are ok, but my Maxtor disk is too noisy.
(everything's too noisy after you've seen and heard a Toshiba)

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) (10/13/90)

The IDE drives that are available are generally faster and much less
expensive than RLL drives.  Most of the IDE's also have built in
caching which definately helps.

I would check out the following drives:
  Quantum Pro80AT - 19ms, 64kb cache
  Rodime 105MB (forget the model number) - 18ms, 32kb cache

You should be able to easily get either of these drive for under
$600 and possibly as low as $550.  I have just begun evaluating
the Rodime drive but have used the Quantum for over a year.  The
only problem with the Quantum is availability.  This is a VERY
popular drive (I believe even moreso in SCSI form where it is
used by Apple and some other major manufacturers).

You should be able to find an AT adaptor board w/ floppy for
around $75 (including 2 serial, 1 parallel).

Mike

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.182309.3713@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) wri
>In article <40277@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e
>|My alternatives so far include a Toshiba MK134 with a WD1006SRV, and either
>|a Conner or Maxtor IDE drives (the 80MB models).
>
>The Toshiba MK134 is ... it will
>make you very happy. If you need a bigger one, check out the MK234.
>
>Conner and Maxtor are ok, but my Maxtor disk is too noisy.
>(everything's too noisy after you've seen and heard a Toshiba)

Phil,  I think you may be overlooking the real question.  I would choose
the IDE type format over a RLL-st-506 format, for speed/performance. I
avoid all cheap st506 rll drives and prefer cheap st506 mfm, when doing cheap.
The doing performance & paying more, i'd choose the IDE -rll format.
(IDE drives are still actually using either rll or mfm format but not with
the standard st506 interface.)
Given the choice of a 'noisy' maxtor or connor & IDE or a 'quite' toshiba
st506, on the performance rating, either ide is a better choice I feel.  I also
am not sure that the 'noise' of the maxtor is signifigant because my systems
have cooling fans, and monitors that are much louder by comparision.  That
isn't to say that the toshiba is a bad choice. And if I were using the st506
interface & spending money, it would be my first choice also.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) (10/14/90)

I'd like to thank the fellow netters that have replied to my query on IDE and
RLL drives. However, I have received personal messages mentioning that Unix
and Xenix do not work properly with IDE drives. Does this apply to all IDE
drives or just a few particular ones?
Thanks again,

Vassilios E. Axaris

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (10/14/90)

In <40552@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu
	(vassilios e axaris) wrote:

> However, I have received personal messages mentioning that Unix and
> Xenix do not work properly with IDE drives. Does this apply to all IDE
> drives or just a few particular ones?

Some versions of unix / xenix try to figure out the geometry of a
drive.  I recall that ISC did this to drives on the secondary
controller in at least some cases if not all.  This may not work for
an IDE drive.  ISC may have changed this.

The problem is that many IDE drives adjust their apparent geometry to
whatever the system wants.  If you ask for 64 sectors per track, you
got it, with fewer cylinders or heads.

The way you figure out the geometry is to tell the drive it has 255
sectors per track, 16 heads and 1024 cylinders (for example), and see
if it works by seeking to those values.  The code detecting the
geometry may be assuming that the drive's geometry is fixed, whereas
each time you program a new geometry into an IDE, it changes.

The bottom line is that you'll just have to try it out.  I don't know
if anyone ever used the above algorithm for a drive on the primary
controller/connector.

PS. Remember to keep the IDE cable length SHORT!
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

ucmpme@swuts.swbt.com (1593]) (10/16/90)

In article <40552@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) writes:
> I'd like to thank the fellow netters who have replied to my query on IDE and
> RLL drives. However, I have received personal messages mentioning that Unix
> and Xenix do not work properly with IDE drives. Does this apply to all IDE
> drives or just a few particular ones?
> Thanks again,
>
> Vassilios E. Axaris

I have a Toshiba MK234FC-1 100meg IDE drive that works quite nicely
with my UNIX - ESIX 3.2 Rev. D.  The drive is quiet, and fast!
The only problem I've had is one I posted to the net some time ago--
I can format the drive to 117mb on DOS, but ESIX refused to recognize
more than 820 or so cylinders.  Since it does give me more than the
drive's rated capacity (about 109mb), I quit worrying about the extra
10 or so meg.

But since we're back on IDE drives.....Does anyone have a clue?
When ESIX gets to about 820, the sector count (during surface analysis)
just races to the end, that is, it continues counting rapidly out to
the number of cylinders I told it to expect.  Then, when making the
file system, it reports sector not found.  (I can't remember the exact
message, but if one of you gurus *really* have a clue I can find it.)

And one other embarassingly simple question...Is it possible to use
the color capability of the console *outside* of X-windows?  I don't
want fancy graphics - yet.  I just want a plain blue background
with cyan (or even white) lettering.  Trust me,  White letters
on a black screen is inhuman.

Hope my comment helps, and hope someone can comment to help me.

BTW, I didn't buy TFM.  I have access to standard SYS V documentation,
and besides, I blew the money on ESIX.  ( :^)

thanks.

--
    M. E. Evans
    UUCP:  swuts!ucmpme or sw1e!ucmpme

PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) (10/17/90)

I have had the Quantum Pro80AT IDE drive running Interactive's
version of Unix fine.  I also have a customer who runs Coherent
on the Quantum fine.

As I recall, the problem with Unix and varients is that they need
a certain number of SPT.  What's nice is that most IDE drives
allow you to set the HDS, CYLS, and SPT to whatever you want as
long as the combined add up to a drive size that is = or < the
capacity of the drive.

Michael W. Picher   Picher@Maine.Maine.Edu   207-623-4012
LexIkon Microsystems, Inc.   333 Water St.  Augusta, ME  04330

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (10/17/90)

In article <40552@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@acsu.buffalo.edu (vassilios e axaris) writes:
> I'd like to thank the fellow netters that have replied to my query on IDE and
> RLL drives. However, I have received personal messages mentioning that Unix
> and Xenix do not work properly with IDE drives. Does this apply to all IDE
> drives or just a few particular ones?
> Thanks again,

I have run the following Unix and Xenix operating Systems on the following HD's:

 - UHC Unix System 5 ver.4 release 1.0
 - Interactive Unix System 5 ver 4 release 2.0.2
 - SCO Xenix System 5 ver ? release 2.3.2

I do not claim to know Unix/Xenix 100%.  The tests on these operating systems
include installation (w/surface analysis), and hard drive writes/reads/compares.
No long term testing was performed (ie. running for 6 months)

Drives :

 - Conner CP-3204F  200megs
 - Quantum 80AT Prodrive  80megs
 - Quantum 40AT Prodrive  40megs
 - Quantum 105AT Prodrive LPS  105megs
 - Quantum 52AT Prodrive LPS  52megs
 - Seagate ST-1239A  200megs

All drives are IDE and of the latest rev (except for the Conner).  They all
ran with no apparent problems.

Since revs change quickly check with each drive maker for their testing results.

BTW, the subject of this topic should not be RLL vs. IDE since most AT
interfaced IDE drives use 2,7 RLL data coding.

If you received info on IDE that do not work with Unix/Xenix please share that
with the rest of us.  There are others that may need to know.  Thank you.
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/18/90)

In article <513@swuts.swbt.com> ucmpme@swuts.swbt.com (1593]) writes:
>I have a Toshiba MK234FC-1 100meg IDE drive that works quite nicely
>with my UNIX - ESIX 3.2 Rev. D.  The drive is quiet, and fast!
>The only problem I've had is one I posted to the net some time ago--
>I can format the drive to 117mb on DOS, but ESIX refused to recognize
o                         ^^^^^^^
>more than 820 or so cylinders.  Since it does give me more than the
>drive's rated capacity (about 109mb), I quit worrying about the extra
>10 or so meg.

How did you get 117mb under DOS?  I have the 234FC in my 386 with AMI
BIOS and I only have ~104 mb.  I used the parameters Toshiba gave me.

Charles

patf@hprpcd.HP.COM (pat fung) (10/18/90)

       One word of warning about IDE drives. If you intent to add a second
IDE drive, you may have to stuck with the same manufacturer. I have try to
use a CONNER and a Quantum drive together, no way. Different manufacturers
use different master/slave handshake scheme. Beware!

Pat

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (10/18/90)

In <15206@cbmvax.commodore.com> brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim -
Product Assurance) writes:

>BTW, the subject of this topic should not be RLL vs. IDE since most AT
>interfaced IDE drives use 2,7 RLL data coding.

The subject of *any* topic should not be "RLL vs IDE".  There is no
contradiction between the two.  And this conclusion is independent of
whether or not the IDE drive uses 2,7 RLL encoding.

An IDE drive can use RLL encoding.

An IDE drive can use MFM encoding.

An IDE drive can use bubble memory.

An IDE drive can use FM encoding.  Or, for that matter, AM.

An IDE drive can be a CD-ROM drive.

IDE means "integrated drive electronics".  It tells you where the
controller lies.  It doesn't tell you how the controller works.

IDE drives look like standard AT bus drives -- because, on ATs at
least, that's what they are.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (10/23/90)

In article <27880001@hprpcd.HP.COM>, patf@hprpcd.HP.COM (pat fung) writes...

>       One word of warning about IDE drives. If you intent to add a second
>IDE drive, you may have to stuck with the same manufacturer. I have try to
>use a CONNER and a Quantum drive together, no way. Different manufacturers
>use different master/slave handshake scheme. Beware!
>

>Pat

	I'm going to refute that. I had a Quantam Pro40 AT IDE drive as my
drive C: and  Conner 105mb IDE drive as my drives D: and E: in my 386sx clone
at home. At work we regularly mix Conner and Miniscribe drives in the same PC.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

In article <90290.084946PICHER@MAINE.BITNET> PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) writes:

| As I recall, the problem with Unix and varients is that they need
| a certain number of SPT.

  You have that about 180 degrees off. MS-DOS uses the BIOS and doesn't
like drives not in the table. Most versions of UNIX, certainly the 386
and all SCO versions, allow you to configure the drive at install time,
and use whatever the actual values happen to be.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/23/90)

In article <27880001@hprpcd.HP.COM> patf@hprpcd.HP.COM (pat fung) writes:

|       One word of warning about IDE drives. If you intent to add a second
|IDE drive, you may have to stuck with the same manufacturer. I have try to
|use a CONNER and a Quantum drive together, no way. Different manufacturers
|use different master/slave handshake scheme. Beware!

If this is true, those idiots can go suck eggs. I'm going to stick
with good old ST-506.

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.011603.28498@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <27880001@hprpcd.HP.COM> patf@hprpcd.HP.COM (pat fung) writes:
> |
> |       One word of warning about IDE drives. If you intent to add a second
> |IDE drive, you may have to stuck with the same manufacturer. I have try to
> |use a CONNER and a Quantum drive together, no way. Different manufacturers
> |use different master/slave handshake scheme. Beware!
>
> If this is true, those idiots can go suck eggs. I'm going to stick
> with good old ST-506.

This was true with some of the older IDE drives.  In fact I have two Conner
drives that refuse to work together.  Newer models don't seem to have the prob.
I've used Conner with Quantums with Western Digitals with Seagates.

Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (10/25/90)

I've gotten confused by this whole IDE thing.

Can I connect most IDE drives to a standard AT hard drive controller? (Western
Digital standard I suppose?)

Do I need to get a new controller?

I have an AT with very few extra slots (read all full at present, but I COULD
pull a card if need be.) and a st251-1? (40 meg seagate drive) connected to the
standard controller.

Would I be able to connect an IDE drive if I bought a new one to the current
controller?  Is there an easy solution to adding another drive, other than
adding another similar drive?

Wim.

--
wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu