[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Using Imagewriter I/II with PC

srt@aerospace.aero.org (Scott "TCB" Turner) (10/26/90)

I recently inquired about using an Apple Imagewriter with an AT.  I got
one very helpful response from J.C. Kelly:

The IMAGEWRITER is really a C-ITOH 8510. Use those software drivers if
you can find them. Otherwise try IBM Proprinter drivers, which will handle
most text stuff, but not graphics images. Epson drivers might also work.

The Imagewriter has a serial port, unlike most IBM clone printers. You
need a serial cable from your COM1: or COM2: port.

            IBM end                 IMAGEWRITER END
            T   2------------------------3  R
            R   3------------------------2  T
          CTS   5----------------|-------20 DTR
          DSR   6----------------|
          GND   7------------------------ 5 CTS

The schematic shows pins 5 and 6 at the IBM end jumpered together and
connected to pin 20 at the imagewriter end. If your IBM has a 9-pin
serial port connector, then use pins

            IBM end
            T 3
            R 2
          CTS 8
          DSR 6
          GND 5

Finally, you'll probably want to redirect your printer output to the
serial port using the MODE command, maybe in your autoexec.bat
or in a .BAT file.

MODE COM1:96,N,8,1,P
MODE LPT1: = COM1:

The first time you print, and DOS asks you for the printer device,
enter LPT1:

If your serial port is COM2:, substitute that wherever it says COM1: in
my example.

-------

The pinouts J.C. reccomends are apparently for the Imagewriter II.  On the
Imagewriter I, pin 7 on the IBM side (GND) should connect to pin 7 on the
Imagewriter.

							-- Scott TurnerFrom: srt@aerospace.aero.org (Scott "TCB" Turner)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Using Imagewriter with AT (Summary)