[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Whistling VGA Card was Monitor destruction

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (10/26/90)

lloyd@ficc.ferranti.com (greg lloyd) writes:

>I just fried a monochrome monitor by using a defective floppy controller
>card.  It was weird: on every disk access the sync signals to the monitor
>would stop or go crazy causing awful sounds to come from the monitor.

I have an ATI VGA Wonder+ (the 1024 card) with 512k and a mouse plugged into
a no name 386-33 (Hawk motherboard) and connected to a Loop multiscan monitor.

There is a whistling sound emanating from the case. Ordinarily with the
other sounds coming from the power supply and diskdrive (maxtor-200),
I would ignore this sound as just normal machinery noise.  However, I have
found that the frequency of this sound changes as the screen changes, and
even as the mouse is moved from one part of the screen into another.

Is this normal? Or, do I have something configured incorrectly?
Could this sound be caused by using the wrong software driver for a specific
program?
Or could the whistling sound be coming  from some other device?

Thanks for any and all help.

-hd

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/27/90)

In article <4577@prussian9.UUCP> dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) writes:
>There is a whistling sound emanating from the case. Ordinarily with the
>other sounds coming from the power supply and diskdrive (maxtor-200),
>I would ignore this sound as just normal machinery noise.  However, I have
>found that the frequency of this sound changes as the screen changes, and
>even as the mouse is moved from one part of the screen into another.

I have a NEC 3D connected to an ATI 1024 w/mouse.  When I was running
my machine with the top off for awhile, I noticed as the monitor changed
frequencies, the hard drive would vibrate differently and make different
noises.  If I put a touched the frame of the hard drive, the sound would
stop.

I suggest you take the top off of your machine and track down the sound.
If you can stop it by putting pressure on something, then maybe there
is something you can do to stop it.

Charles