[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA graphics board driving Hercules mono monitor

6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) (10/27/90)

Yep, I came up with yet another question!

Will the ATI VGA Wonder or Orchid ProDesigner II VGA graphics
adaptors drive a standard (ie HERCULES compatible) monochrome
monitor?

If I buy a system with VGA monitor, all I'll have for back-up
is an extra monochrome monitor. I'd like to be able to use it
if the VGA goes down as I can't afford down time just because
I can't see the system's output!

Thanks for any responses. I've gotten mixed (ie ambiguous)
answers from systems vendors.

Bill

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" - Einstein

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (10/27/90)

In article <6830@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>Yep, I came up with yet another question!
>
>Will the ATI VGA Wonder or Orchid ProDesigner II VGA graphics
>adaptors drive a standard (ie HERCULES compatible) monochrome
>monitor?

According to the literature published by Orchid (Technical Specifications,
1990):

"The ProDesigner II is register and BIOS-level compatible with EGA, CGA,
MDA, and Hercules.  It also supports all 17 standard VGA modes.  In
addition, the ProDesigner II supports the following extended modes:
3-132 column--16 colors; 640x400--256 colors; 640x480--256 colors;
800x600--16 colors; 800x600--256 colors; 1024x768--16 colors; 1024x768--
256 colors.  Compatible Monitors: Multi-frequency analog (e.g., NEC
MultiSync, Sony, MultiScan, Nanao, etc...)  Single frequency analog
(e.g., IBM 8513, Zenith ZCM-1490) IBM 8514 Display or compatibles."

If you need more specs on this board call EPS Technologies; they sent
me seven pages of stuff on this board since they use it in their
systems (that's where I got the info above).

Of course I had to throw that last paragraph in.  :-)

Sorry, what I have about the ATI board doesn't answer your question.

P.S.  If your color monitor went down, you probably wouldn't be able
to use your Hercules monitor anyway since the software you would be
using would require color graphics.  The board could provide that,
but not to a mono monitor.  In fact (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
you could fry your monitor if you sent the wrong frequencies to it.
Also, your mono monitor might not even be connectable to the graphics
board (because the board has a 15-pin analog connector).

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

it1@ra.MsState.Edu (Tim Tsai) (10/27/90)

In <6830@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>Yep, I came up with yet another question!
>Will the ATI VGA Wonder or Orchid ProDesigner II VGA graphics
>adaptors drive a standard (ie HERCULES compatible) monochrome
>monitor?

  I don't know about the Orchid ProDesigner II, but the ATI VGA Wonder
WILL in fact emulate EGA, CGA, and of course Hercules on a TTL Hercules
monitor.  I have both the EGA Wonder and VGA Wonder.  Although I have not
tried to connect the VGA Wonder to a hercules monitor (yet), the EGA Wonder
has worked wonderfully on both a CGA and a Hercules monitor emulating
EGA/CGA/Hercules without any problem (On the CGA monitor the EGA mode
is interlaced though).  The Zenith EGA cards we have at work are also
connected to a Hercules monitor emulating EGA/CGA/Hercules.  No problem
whatsoever.

--
  Now I lay me down to rest, a pile of books upon my chest.
  If I should die before I wake, that's one less test I'll have to take.