[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP!!! video problem on Tandy 1000TL

blw@acsu.buffalo.edu (brian l wybaillie) (10/26/90)

System:  Tandy 1000TL, 286 8Mhz
         color CGA
         40 Meg hard card
         640k memory

Problem:  After installing the command, Explosiv -m5 in my autoexec.bat file
everything seemed to work just fine. After an idol time of 5 minutes the
screen would display pulsating fireworks (wow). And after typing any key it
would display the origional screen. ok so far.
But just last night i decided that 5 minutes was not long enough, so i edited
the command to read Explosive -10.  well the next time i booted up the system
the screen saver started up without a delay, and typing a key didn't seem to
help.  that is, it just kept on displaying those moronic fireworks.
	By this time i was quite upset so i tried a software interupt
(ctrl-alt-del) but after booting the screen just flashed lots and lots of
multicolored characters.  at this time i decided to use to hardware reset
this time it booted like normal but the screen was not the same. it seems to
be in a different mode. the characters are much larger, infact the first
5 or 6 characters in the command line are not visable due to this expansion.
also the colors are different, it will only display two shades of green and
one of purple.
	i have removed the hard card, and rebooted from a flopy, nothing has
changed.

        is there a simple explination to this, or have i severely damaged
something (ie. EEPROM)?

 	i'd greatly appreciate some feedback from anyone with this sort of
know how.

thanks in advance.

Brian Wybaillie
University @ Buffalo

jdwhite@iastate.edu (White Jason David) (10/27/90)

In article <42700@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> blw@acsu.buffalo.edu (brian l wybaillie) writes:

>System:  Tandy 1000TL, 286 8Mhz
>         color CGA
>         40 Meg hard card
>         640k memory
>
>Problem:  After installing the command, Explosiv -m5 in my autoexec.bat file
>everything seemed to work just fine. After an idol time of 5 minutes the
>screen would display pulsating fireworks (wow). And after typing any key it
>would display the origional screen. ok so far.
>But just last night i decided that 5 minutes was not long enough, so i edited
>the command to read Explosive -10.  well the next time i booted up the system
>the screen saver started up without a delay, and typing a key didn't seem to
>help.  that is, it just kept on displaying those moronic fireworks.
>	By this time i was quite upset so i tried a software interupt
>(ctrl-alt-del) but after booting the screen just flashed lots and lots of
>multicolored characters.  at this time i decided to use to hardware reset
>this time it booted like normal but the screen was not the same. it seems to
>be in a different mode. the characters are much larger, infact the first
>5 or 6 characters in the command line are not visable due to this expansion.
>also the colors are different, it will only display two shades of green and
>one of purple.
>	i have removed the hard card, and rebooted from a flopy, nothing has
>changed.
>
>        is there a simple explination to this, or have i severely damaged
>something (ie. EEPROM)?
>
> 	i'd greatly appreciate some feedback from anyone with this sort of
>know how.
>
>thanks in advance.
>
>Brian Wybaillie
>University @ Buffalo

	Sounds like your Tandy got switched into it's built-in Hercules
graphics mode.  There should be a little sticker on the back of your TL that
tells how to switch modes.  I believe it's  CRTL-ALT-SHIFT-V.

-Jason White
jdwhite@iastate.edu