[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] perstor drive controller- they ARE worth the effort

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct13.232240.1632@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

   drezac@dcsc.dla.mil (Duane L. Rezac) writes:

   >has anyone had any experience with the Perstor  ps180-16fn hard disk
   >controler card? I am looking for any experience/comments on this product.

   If you value your data - stay away from the Perstor products -
   a better investment would be another drive.

Would you care to back this up with non-anecdotal information?

I have had a Perstor controller in my homebrew PC (meaning I just put
motherboard and controllers from different mfrs in a case) and have
been pleased with the result: a 76 MB Wren II drive becomes about
145MB, a ST238 becomes 29MB.  Not a problem at all in about a year.

   not only that - but the data transfer rate is not as fast as with
   a good 1:1 RLL controller

This much is true; my system is an 8088-based XT type and the data
transfer rate is definitely noticably slower than with the Adaptek
2070A RLL controller I used before.  But I have twice as much disk.

I took care of the disk access problem by using a good disk caching
program.

Perstor's tech service is knowledgible and excellent; I had to iterate
thru several ROMS for the controller because of switching drives
(remember I have the XT card and therefore the XT hard drive BIOS) and
they were helpful, and right, every time.

Personally, I think the doubling of the disk space with Perstor is the
right thing to do if you don't have the cash for more disks or can't
add more physical hard disks.  If the slowness bothers you, get a good
caching program.  Make sure you tell them the right disk(s) that you
have, and most of of all make sure that the disk you want to use is
qualified by Perstor for their controllers.  Same rules apply to RLL.

dan davison
university of houston
department of biochemical and biophysical sciences
#include <disclaimer.h>

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

"Comparing bad weather to rape: 'if it's inevitable, just relax and
enjoy it'"  Clayton Williams, next Governor of Texas...and THIS is the
kind of person and attitute most Texans find acceptable...in
1990...very sad.

myself.

root@consult.UUCP (Super user) (10/27/90)

This is very similar to the results that we have had.
We have been running a Perstor controller on our BBS for over 2 years
now - 24hrs a day, and a lot of usage, and have NEVER had a problem.
(knock on wood.  bam bam).

We are using a Seagate ST-4096 and get 4-32mb partitions out of it.
We have been very pleased and pleasantly surprised by its performance.