[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] what is an Amstrad pc1512?

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (10/26/90)

hi leo,
          the amstrad 1512 is an 8086 compat sold by an english company call
amstrad,they come in various configurations and the moniter is an integral part
of the cpu body.Also some of the early models had a lot of problems with the
moniter not working.
Robert Bell                       uunet!van_bc!rsoft!mindlink!a1076
Benndorf-Verster                  a1076@mindlink.uucp
Vancouver Canada                  voice 604-853-5870

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (10/26/90)

Does someone know what an Amstrad 1512 monitor is? ... I follow this newsgroup,
but email is preferred ... thanks

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

esaholm@polaris.utu.fi (Esa Holmberg) (10/28/90)

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:

>          the amstrad 1512 is an 8086 compat sold by an english company call
>amstrad,they come in various configurations and the moniter is an integral
>part of the cpu body.Also some of the early models had a lot of problems with
>the moniter not working.

	Almost correct. Amstrad PC1512 is a 8 MHz 8086 based XT clone,
	which was equipped with either b/w or color CGA monior. The
	alternative disc drive combinations were one (1) 360 kB drive,
	two (2) 360 kB drives or one 360 kB drive and a hard disc.
	The monitor is _not_ integrated with the CPU body, but it does
	contain the power supply instead. And about problems with
	monitors - I still do have one PC1512 around, it is one of the
	early ones and it has never had problems with the monitor. Nor
	have I heard of anyone PC1512 owner who would have had.

	Amstrad made another PC belonging to its 1000-series, this one
	called PC1640. While 1512 had originally 512 kB RAM, 1640 came
	directly with 640 kB. (Upgrading 1512 to have 640kB was pretty
	easy though.) PC1640 had three monitor alternatives: Hercules,
	color CGA and color EGA. Floppy/hard disc combinations were the
	same as with 1512.

	Adding hard discs bigger than the original 20 MB was quite easy,
	though there sure are some who say that Amstrad PCs are not at
	all upgradeable.. :-)

	Amstrad has nowadays made also 2000-series, including machines
	based on 8086, 80286 and 80386 and called 2086, 2286 and 2386
	respectively. They are rumored to have had technical problems.
	Note that I haven't tested them myself, this is a rumor..
(  Esa Holmberg, Turku Telephone Company, AXE, Linnankatu 4, 20100 TURKU, )
 ) Finland ! Elisa: Holmberg Esa TT (tt) ! fax +358 21 502 298           /
(  Internet: esaholm@utu.fi, esa.holmberg/o=tt/@elisa.fi                /