[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Cannot Low Level Format St-4086>94155-86 Imprimis Drive

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (10/23/90)

I just got a used Imprimis Drive <94155-86> which is a Seagate
equivalent to an ST-4086 and have tried to low level format it
with an XT controller <WD2>.

The format fails giving me "Error---completion code 80".

The parameters I have used are:

debug
-g=c800:5

When asked if I am dynamically configuring the drive I answer Y <yes>
and add the following parameters:

925 9 926 926 11 5

After the drive has been formatting for about 15min the error "80"
appears.Fdisk <<MSDOS 3.3> does NOT recognise this drive

What is "error 80"? Can anyone shed some light on the problem?

This is the first drive in the chain of two drives thus the first
drive jumper is used on the Imprimis <cable with no twist>.

The existing ST251-1 and ST412 have been working in a two drive
configuration for about two years.

Jack Lupic

Toronto,Ontario-CANADA

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (10/25/90)

First of all, where did this Imprimis Drive come from?
[ NOTE: Imprimis, was original a division of CDC; later bought by Seagate.
        Therefore, the 94155-86 is *NOT* equivalent to a Seagate drive.
        Seagate just renamed the drive when they acquired Imprimis.]

Back to the question ... if the drive came from a 286/386 type computer
be sure to check the drive select jumper.  If you are using a straight cable
(not twists), the drive select should be 0 (or whatever the LOWEST setting
is).  If the drive select is not at 0, try using the cable with a twist
(connecting the drive to the end of the cable where the twist is).

Error code 80 -- which is in hex -- usually means that the drive is either not
found, not ready, or the drive controller (on the drive) is faulty.
Incorrect drive selects can cause drive controller faults.

Since it is obvious that you are connecting this drive to an XT-type computer.
I strongly think that if the drive was originally working, that you have
the wrong drive select.  Check them (those little jumpers on the drive).

I hope this helps.  Feel free to drop me a line if you need more help.

      __________                                          ___
     /          \                                    /   /    /-/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                                 __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                        Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412  BITnet:   jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213  UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (10/29/90)

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:

> First of all, where did this Imprimis Drive come from?
> [ NOTE: Imprimis, was original a division of CDC; later bought by Seagate.
>         Therefore, the 94155-86 is *NOT* equivalent to a Seagate drive.
>         Seagate just renamed the drive when they acquired Imprimis.]
>

> Error code 80 -- which is in hex -- usually means that the drive is either no
> found, not ready, or the drive controller (on the drive) is faulty.
> Incorrect drive selects can cause drive controller faults.
>
> Since it is obvious that you are connecting this drive to an XT-type computer
> I strongly think that if the drive was originally working, that you have
> the wrong drive select.  Check them (those little jumpers on the drive).
>
> I hope this helps.  Feel free to drop me a line if you need more help.

First of all,thanks to all who answered the question and gave me their
suggestions and ideas.This is what happened:

After all that hassle and talking to both Seagate and Western Digital
I have finally solved the problem myself.My WX2 DID NOT support drives
with greater than 8 heads.Imprimis has 9 heads.WX2 is a 1985 controller
with a 1987 dynamic super bios chip.The controller with its built-in
bios only supported 10 and 20Meg drives.The super bios chip allowed
me to format my ST251-1 but would NOT work with Imprimis as per above.
Western Digital Tech Support told me that it WOULD work.

I got a DTC XT controller <1989> and everything is working perfectly
now.The Imprimis formatted to 69Meg and ST251-1 to 42Meg.

Imprimis is a heck of a nice drive,faster and quieter than ST251-1.

The error 80 was due to the fact that  was trying to write the precomp
on the non-existent cylinder.By the way,in the process I burned-out
my Western Digital Controller due to the advice of their Tech Support
to change jumpers.They'll get a call from me since instead of helping
they did more damage.

Jack Lupic    Scarborough,Ont.,CANADA

Internet: jzl@micasa.UUCP        OR       jzl%micasa@uunet.UU.NET
UUCP:     micasa!jzl             OR       uunet!mnetor!micasa!jzl

    " Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly
     ether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the
     empty wastes".
     - Johannes Kepler -