[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Small PC's

billq@ms.uky.edu (fill in blank) (10/27/90)

 I am wondering, what is the smallest PC (AT and 386 too) computer that
is on the market.  And what are the prices for those.  I need this info
because I am helping a friend install a computer in his car, and the
smaller it is, the better!

any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!

--
    Billy Quinn (billq@ms.uky.edu)
                (pr01527@ukpr.uky.edu)

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (10/27/90)

> I am wondering, what is the smallest PC (AT and 386 too) computer that
>is on the market.  And what are the prices for those.  I need this info
------------
Check out the Nov 1990 issue of Computer Shopper on page 342 is an
article on Ampro's Little Board/386. Cost is $1,695. Size:5.75" x 8".
In the picture, it looks to be about 2" tall. It contains a 3.5" floppy
drive, SCSI interface, up to 4Meg Ram, 2 serial, 1 parallel and a key-
board port. Power input is 5V @ 2A. There is a lot more to the board
and the article. Literature and manuals available seperatly.
Their phone is 800-966-5200 or 408-734-2800.
Ampro Computers, Inc
1130 Mountain View/Alviso Rd
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
PS - The article is on the 386, but it seemd they make PC and 286
units too.
			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (10/27/90)

I seem to remember a recent article in Byte on miniaturized computers,
I believe they were the Ampro Single Board Computers. They can in
8088, 80286, and 80386 models.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (10/28/90)

Sorry, the Little Board computers were reviewed in the Shopper, not
Byte, my mistake.
--

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct27.160206.17997@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>I seem to remember a recent article in Byte on miniaturized computers,
>I believe they were the Ampro Single Board Computers. They can in
>8088, 80286, and 80386 models.

There are always "notebook" machines from Compaq/NEC/Sharp... BTW, there
is a line of machines from a company called "Flytech". There is a CARRY-I
which is an 8088 based box, a CARRY-II which is a 286 based box and, I think,
there is a CARRY-II which is a 386SX box announced recently. They are really
small machines (240mm x 185 mm x 45mm). The keyboard is also fairly compact
but is only 82 keys though. There is also an accompanying 9" mono-monitor.
I saw the Carry-I and II in the "Computer-fest" show in Toronto just a
few weeks ago.

They advertised in the "Byte" magazines as well.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300