[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Parrallel Cable Extender

ylee@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Yao Chung Lee) (10/30/90)

Is there any good Parallel extender out there, we need about 200 ft to
connect a HP IIID printer to a Novell Server.   We currently have one
that doesn't quite work well with the HP...

Thank you.

Raymond Lee 		      Bitnet : ylee@iugold.bitnet
Network Administrator        Internet: ylee@cs.indiana.edu
SPHS, Indiana University         UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!ylee

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/30/90)

ylee@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Yao Chung Lee) writes:

>Is there any good Parallel extender out there, we need about 200 ft to
>connect a HP IIID printer to a Novell Server.   We currently have one
>that doesn't quite work well with the HP...

For those kind of distances, you really should go serial.  Parallel just
wasn't made to go more than a few meters.  If you want to stick with
parallel (for speed reasons), you'll need to bring the printer close to
the server.

You could set up another dedicated PC just for serving print on your
network.  I don't think it'd need to be much of a system.  Use an old
junker AT or even XT for it.  What else are they good for?

Another option would be to get a pair of serial to parallel converters.
Then you could run serial between the boxes at higher serial speeds.
Black Box makes some that run at 38.4 Kbps for $119 each.  This will
give you twice the speed normally possible with a LaserJet III which is
limited to 19.2 Kbps.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014