[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Enlightenment...SWAN sVGA *is* ET4000

shite@unf7.UUCP (Stephen Hite) (10/26/90)

Well, I *finally* talked to someone at SWAN today who confirmed that their
sVGA is definitely based on the ET4000 chipset from Tseng Labs.  Others
from the Net have also verified this recently, too.   I was originally
confused because someone at SWAN said it used the "ZIPS" chipset and
felt this was either a nickname or something different.

OK, my poll of cheap sVGA cards led to 2 "winners" in the cheap category.
One person mentioned that a friend of his bought the STB-16 sVGA w/512K
for $189 from Compu$ave (it's ET4000 also) and this SWAN card.  CompuAdd's
card that I mentioned in a previous article went for $239 and one person
mentioned that everything he had heard about it was bad.  I'm sorry for
the vagueness but I got very general e-mail w/no details.  CompuAdd, IMHO
has "disqualified" themselves because STB and SWAN are cheaper :-).

One other note...SWAN Tech. did say that they used to use the ET3000 chipset
in their sVGA but has switched over to ET4000.  Just thought I'd mention it
in case someone posts swearing that it's an ET3000 because they have one ;).

Now, if anyone can get cheaper than $189...(there are no bounds to how little
I am willing to pay :-)).

-----------------------------
Steve Hite
...gatech!uflorida!unf7!shite

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (10/30/90)

In article <315@unf7.UUCP> shite@unf7.UUCP (Stephen Hite) writes:

>Now, if anyone can get cheaper than $189...(there are no bounds to how little
>I am willing to pay :-)).
>
>-----------------------------
>Steve Hite
>...gatech!uflorida!unf7!shite

Actually I was going to ask on the net about the ad I saw in PC Magazine
from FastMicro.  They are selling a FastData 16 bit VGA card for $99.00
that is supposed to do 1024x768.  This is too good to be true.  Also they are
selling a FastData 14" VGA 1024x768i .28 dp monitor for $399.00.  I just
don't believe either of these can be quality products.  Does anyone have
experience with either?

Frank
frank@odetics.com or uunet!odetics!frank