[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Experience with Micro Express, Suggestions?

mlaird@hubcap.clemson.edu (michael laird) (10/30/90)

Last July I placed an order for a 386sx from Micro Express, in part because of
the good review they received in PC Mag's report on cheap 386sx's.  At first,
they said it would take 4 weeks for my order to come in.  After 4 weeks, I
called and they said 2 more weeks.  Then it was "just another week", and then
a letter came explaining that I would have to wait until Oct 30.  I just called
tonight, and they still can't give me a definite date on *when* my order will be
shipped!

They now are offering me the option of upgrading to a 20MHz version, for $150
more, and they promise that the 20MHz configuration could be shipped within a
week.  Has anyone out there actually gotten a computer from them?  Is it worth
the wait, or should I take my order elsewhere?  Should I believe their promise
of one week for the 20MHz version?

Any helpful hints would be welcome, as well as information on other companies to
turn to if this order never materializes.  (In particular, I'm curious about
Insight computers -- if anyone has one, I'd like to know how you like it).

Thank you in advance!

Michael Laird
Michael Laird                |                            mlaird@cs.clemson.edu

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (10/30/90)

In article <11253@hubcap.clemson.edu> mlaird@hubcap.clemson.edu
 (michael laird) writes:
>Last July I placed an order for a 386sx from Micro Express, in part because
>of the good review they received in PC Mag's report on cheap 386sx's.
>At first, they said it would take 4 weeks for my order to come in.  After 4
>weeks, I called and they said 2 more weeks.  Then it was "just another week",
>and then a letter came explaining that I would have to wait until Oct 30.
>I just called tonight, and they still can't give me a definite date on
>*when* my order will be shipped!......[deletions]

The reason for the delay is probably that they are waiting on parts.
Often mail order companies will buy their new bundles of hardware
with the money that is presently coming in--sort of like being
"one paycheck behind" in our terms.  This is an inexcusable policy.

I would suggest that you get as speedy a refund as possible.  I say
this not so much because Micro Express isn't reliable but because
you can get a better and more reliable computer for the same cash
output now than you could three or four months ago.  The 386 system
I have been shopping for has gone down over $150 average per month
over the past year.

P.S.  I hope you used a credit card.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC