[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP: THINKS C: IS D:

rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) (10/17/90)

I have an AT&T 6300 with an ST-225 and Adaptec controller that has suddenly
refused to boot from the hard disk because it seems to believe that C: is
D:.  Apparently the boot process gets as far as reading config.sys since
error messages like "C:\BIN\ANSI.SYS NOT FOUND" and "C:\COMMAND.COM NOT
FOUND" appear.  If I boot from a floppy and then select C:, I get "GENERAL
DISK FAILURE".  However, if I select D:, I can see and access all the files
on the drive (which is really C:).  What is likely to have gone wrong and
how can I correct it?

Roger Levy
rl@groucho.att.com

cooper@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (frank michael cooper) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.101516.24070@cbnewsl.att.com> rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) writes:

-- deleted text --

>DISK FAILURE".  However, if I select D:, I can see and access all the files
>on the drive (which is really C:).  What is likely to have gone wrong and
>how can I correct it?

Sounds like your partition table has taken a dive into the abyss.  Try a Norton
Disk Doctor or something like it to recover it.

	-Mike

ESR@SLACVM.BITNET (Ed Russell) (10/19/90)

>From: rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy)
>Subject: HELP: THINKS C: IS D:
>Date: 17 Oct 90 10:15:16 GMT
>
>I have an AT&T 6300 with an ST-225 and Adaptec controller that has suddenly
>refused to boot from the hard disk because it seems to believe that C: is
>D:.  Apparently the boot process gets as far as reading config.sys since
>error messages like "C:\BIN\ANSI.SYS NOT FOUND" and "C:\COMMAND.COM NOT
>FOUND" appear.  If I boot from a floppy and then select C:, I get "GENERAL
>DISK FAILURE".  However, if I select D:, I can see and access all the files
>on the drive (which is really C:).  What is likely to have gone wrong and
>how can I correct it?

Did you change the jumpers on the hard drive printed circuit board.  There
are usually jumpers to identify whether your hard drive is to answer to
drive 1 or drive 2.  If it is jumpered to answer to drive 2, it will act
like a D: drive even if you don't have a C:

hass@f3.n22611.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Scott Hass) (10/31/90)

In a message of <17 Oct 90 10:15:16>, (Roger.H.Levy) writes:

 >I have an AT&T 6300 with an ST-225 and Adaptec controller that has suddenly
 >refused to boot from the hard disk because it seems to believe that C: is
 >D:.  Apparently the boot process gets as far as reading config.sys since
 >error messages like "C:\BIN\ANSI.SYS NOT FOUND" and "C:\COMMAND.COM NOT
 >FOUND" appear.  If I boot from a floppy and then select C:, I get "GENERAL
 >DISK FAILURE".  However, if I select D:, I can see and access all the files
 >on the drive (which is really C:).  What is likely to have gone wrong and
 >how can I correct it?

Roger,

 If you have changed something with you floppy configuration and the system
 thinks that it has three floppy drives you will get that symtom. You can
 either change that back to two floppy drives or change you path to D:.

                        Scott

 --
Scott Hass via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!22611!3!hass