[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] An Apple on my IBM

nardis@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/29/90)

I am trying to hookup an Applewriter printer to a friends XT clone.  The Apple
is a serial printer so I figured I could run it out the XT's com1 port. It does
not work (works ok on the Apple).
Here is what I have done;

Installed the following commands in the autoexec.bat file;
	mode lpt1:=com1
	mode com1:,9600,n,8,1

pin outs as follows;

	Apple 25 pin d		IBM COM1	Signal Name
		6		6		dsr
		8		8		dcd
		20		20		dtr
		3		3		rxd
		7		7		gnd
		2		2		txd

 This looks like standard RS232-C stuff to me but trying to redirect output to
lpt1 (or com1 for that matter) gives me a printer not ready error.  I also
tried an inline null modem adaptor thinking that pins 2 and 3 needed to be
swapped but that does not work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Frank Nardis

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (10/30/90)

In article <1668.272bda17@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> nardis@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>I am trying to hookup an Applewriter printer to a friends XT clone.
>[stuff deleted]
>Here is what I have done;
>
>Installed the following commands in the autoexec.bat file;
>	mode lpt1:=com1
>	mode com1:,9600,n,8,1

I think you are not using the mode command correctly.  Usually one needs to
use the "p" option with a printer:

	mode com1:,96,n,8,1,p

(It is not necessary to type "9600", "96" suffices.)--
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications               OR apcihq!apcidfw!digi!kgallagh

hendricp@wanda.waiariki.ac.nz (Peter Hendricks) (11/01/90)

In article <1668.272bda17@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, nardis@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> I am trying to hookup an Applewriter printer to a friends XT clone.  The Apple
> is a serial printer so I figured I could run it out the XT's com1 port. It does
> not work (works ok on the Apple).
> Here is what I have done;
>
> Installed the following commands in the autoexec.bat file;
> 	mode lpt1:=com1
> 	mode com1:,9600,n,8,1

If memory serves me right you have to set the speed BEFORE redirecting output.
Try copying a file to com2:, without any redirection, but with the speed set
correctly.

Peter