[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] MS Mouse InPort -> Serial Port

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) (11/02/90)

I have an original "Dove Soap Bar" Microsoft Mouse.  I called
Microsoft yesterday and asked for an adapter to take the round
"Inport" connector (that connects to my bus card) and convert it to
the standard 9-pin serial connector.  The phone response was "sorry,
we don't make one, you will have to buy a new mouse".  After finding
my mouse manual, it shows a picture of a adapter that can do the
trick.  Does someone know the pin-out or procedure to make the
necessary conversion?

-Pete  beckman@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (11/03/90)

In article <69538@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) writes:
>I have an original "Dove Soap Bar" Microsoft Mouse.  I called
>Microsoft yesterday and asked for an adapter to take the round
>"Inport" connector (that connects to my bus card) and convert it to
>the standard 9-pin serial connector.  The phone response was "sorry,
>we don't make one, you will have to buy a new mouse".  After finding
>my mouse manual, it shows a picture of a adapter that can do the
>trick.  Does someone know the pin-out or procedure to make the
>necessary conversion?

I'll say basicly that if you can't steal an old adapter off someone elses
old mouse that you can't do this, as the adapter has some electronics in it
besides just wire connections.

When the Dove Bar mouse came out (200ppi version) the serial mouse was just a
bus mouse with no card, but instead a special converter box which plugged into
the serial port (or a PS2 mouse Port)

Now with the current mouse, 400ppi version, the serial mouse is physicaly
different from the bus mouse, and just plugs into a serial port.  They don't
make any kind of converter anymore.

Wim.
--
wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu