[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] **** RUSH **** ESDI controller problem

louis@philmtl.philips.ca (Louis Malette) (10/30/90)

Hi There,

I have a peculiar problem with my ESDI hard disk controller.  I wonder
if somebody in the 'netland' has any experience with that.

Once in a while when I copy a large amount of file, I get some corruption.
I 'cannot' isolate the problem explicitely.  Up to now, I was pointing to
the HD controller (please do not jump to conclusion).

Has anyone experienced that type of problem? I use a Adaptec ESDI controller
with different platform (286, 386 and 386SX).

Any advice/comment/info would  be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Louis Malette
    ---> louis@philmtl

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/03/90)

In article <1561@philmtl.philips.ca> louis@philmtl.philips.ca (Louis Malette) writes:
>Hi There,
>I have a peculiar problem with my ESDI hard disk controller.  I wonder
>if somebody in the 'netland' has any experience with that.
>
>Once in a while when I copy a large amount of file, I get some corruption.
>I 'cannot' isolate the problem explicitely.

A co-worker had identical problem with a large (XT3280?) Maxtor drive
and the Adaptec controller.  He gave me the drive.  I reformatted it
with fewer sectors/track (I think I used 52 - he'd been using 53) and I
have never seen the problem.  However, we were just discussing it, and
he told me that he only saw the problem (almost literally "saw:" - he was
copying display-image files) if the files were approximately 10
megabytes or greater.  Most of my day-to-day use never even approaches
this size file.

Anyway - see if reformatting with fewer (52?) sectors/track has any
effect.

kEITHe