[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Wild claims about copy protection--true?

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) (10/22/90)

I had a conversation/argument with a guy last night who claimed he
had fried a monitor and several hard disks when he was trying to
bypass the copy protection on floppy disks at various times.
According to him, software companies PURPOSEFULLY WRITE code into
their copy protection which, if tampered with, would make your hard
drive attempt to read non-existent sectors or send abnormal frequencies
to your monitor in order to fry/lock them up.  I've certainly HUNG
a computer many times while tinkering, but it has always been my fault.
Has anybody heard of such a thing?  And IS there even a way to write
codes which could do either of these destructive things?  (And could
one accidentally destroy hardware by tinkering with programs--even
when it's their own fault?)  It sure sounds bizarre to me.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (10/22/90)

In article <5946@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) writes:
>I had a conversation/argument with a guy last night who claimed he
>had fried a monitor and several hard disks when he was trying to
>bypass the copy protection on floppy disks at various times.
>Has anybody heard of such a thing?  And IS there even a way to write
>codes which could do either of these destructive things?  (And could
>one accidentally destroy hardware by tinkering with programs--even
>when it's their own fault?)  It sure sounds bizarre to me.

Yes, you can fry a certian monitors by sending odd frequencies to
it.  The solution, of course is to use a multisync monitor.
Monochrome monitors are the ones that susceptible, but damage is
usually not instantaneous (speaking from personal experience).

As for disk drives, yes you could conceivably misalign the heads by
moving the stepping the head positioner beyond range.  The hard disk
is supposed to not let you go beyond its preset maximum number of
cylinders (on the dip switches or in CMOS (for AT's and above)), but
floppies can step up track numbers infinitely.

The following peice of code will move the head beyond range
indefinitely, thus causing a theoretical misalignment of the heads.
It will probably take a while to misalign though; I wouldn't expect
instantaneous results...

from the c:\ prompt, run debug, then type:

xor ax,ax
mov bx,ax
int 13
push ds
pop  es
mov ah,02
mov al,01
mov ch,ff
mov cl,01
xor dx,dx
int 13
jmp 100

ntrshdriv.com
rcx
100

trshdriv

and there, your drives should be trashed after a while, but it will
probably be a long while (I'm NOT speaking from experience; your
mileage may vary).

Any serious hacker/cracker would catch attempts to damage equipment
like this before any serious damage would occur (either that or I've
been very lucky in the past...)

--
Dennis Lou            | "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu         | "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (10/22/90)

S. "Stevie" Smith writes:
> I had a conversation/argument with a guy last night who claimed he
> had fried a monitor and several hard disks when he was trying to
> bypass the copy protection on floppy disks at various times.
then asks if software can destroy hardware.

Yes, some monitors CAN be ruined by misprogramming the Video Control chip
on the video adaptor. All the technical references on the 6845 that I
have indicate that the control registers MUST be setup properly in as
little time as possible or you risk overloading the beam control circuitry
in the monitor. I've spoken with monitor designers about this now and then
and they say it can happen, not all monitors are suceptible but the cheaper
they are the less overload protection they have designed into them.

The main consideration seems to be the sync timing. Get it off too far and
the deflection circuits saturate, leading to possible overload of the
high voltage transformer.

I'm not an analog engineer so this is second hand from guys who are. The
gist is there, but the details may be a bit off.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com

jones@quagmire.cs.pitt.edu (Randy Jones) (10/24/90)

In article <5946@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) writes:
|I had a conversation/argument with a guy last night who claimed he
|had fried a monitor and several hard disks when he was trying to
|bypass the copy protection on floppy disks at various times.
|According to him, software companies PURPOSEFULLY WRITE code into
|their copy protection which, if tampered with, would make your hard
|drive attempt to read non-existent sectors or send abnormal frequencies
|to your monitor in order to fry/lock them up.  I've certainly HUNG
|a computer many times while tinkering, but it has always been my fault.
|Has anybody heard of such a thing?  And IS there even a way to write
|codes which could do either of these destructive things?  (And could
|one accidentally destroy hardware by tinkering with programs--even
|when it's their own fault?)  It sure sounds bizarre to me.

I've never heard of anything like this in PCs, but when my brother worked
on some Wang computers (many years ago) he claimed that they had part
of their copy protection scheme built in to their hardward.  If you attempted
to defeat it, I believe it would erase the hard disk.

tjohnson@ecst.csuchico.edu (Thomas G. Johnson) (10/28/90)

>In article <5946@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) writes:
>I had a conversation/argument with a guy last night who claimed he
>had fried a monitor and several hard disks when he was trying to
>bypass the copy protection on floppy disks at various times.
>According to him, software companies PURPOSEFULLY WRITE code into
>their copy protection which, if tampered with, would make your hard
>drive attempt to read non-existent sectors or send abnormal frequencies
>to your monitor in order to fry/lock them up. .....

I'm not an expert, but I know enough about electronics and TV/monitor theory
to know that the worst thing that will happen to a monitor if you send it
the wrong frequency is that it will not lock on the picture.  The sync
circuits are oscillators that have their frequency controlled by receiving
sync signals from the computer.  If the signal is not within the frequency
range of the oscillator, the oscillator will run free, and the picture will
be garbage, but no damage to the circuits will occur.

 ____   _____   ____
|____| |_|     |____|

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/28/90)

>I'm not an expert, but I know enough about electronics and TV/monitor theory
>to know that the worst thing that will happen to a monitor if you send it
>the wrong frequency is that it will not lock on the picture. The sync
>circuits are oscillators that have their frequency controlled by receiving
>sync signals from the computer. If the signal is not within the frequency
>range of the oscillator, the oscillator will run free, and the picture will
>be garbage, but no damage to the circuits will occur.

I've heard lots of wild claims about how some secret c.p. scheme will
blow up {your hard disk, computer, house, the free world} and I give
them the due that other urban legends get. Most are spread by employees
such a serviceman trying to preserve a monopoly. They may or may not
have been told these stories as fact by their supervisors.

But there is ONE that is true. It was NOT a copy protection scheme,
though. The original IBEAM mono monitor was NOT built for the PeeCee.
It was lifted from the old Displaywriter, an ugly box if there ever was
one. That is also why the TTL mono scan rate was 50 hz, different from
the 60 hz CGA.

The only problem was, the horizontal sweep oscillator won't! In the
absence of sync pulses, it stalls. When it stops, the flyback smokes,
as virtually any TV set will. Now on a Displaywriter, this is no
problem.  The monitor is hardwired to the main box, and everything is
controlled via one power switch. But on a PeeCee, you could turn off
the CPU, and the monitor (plugged into another outlet) would keep on
running, for a few seconds......

Now, you or I might have just fixed the stupid horizontal oscillator so
it did what it was supposed to, but not IBEAM.  Instead, they put an
IEC switched outlet on the back, and fitted the monitor with a matching
plug, so no one could plug it into an outlet. Presto, it went on and
off with the PeeCee.

There were, of course, several problems with this hack fix. First, if
you wanted the CPU on the floor, the cord was too short. Second, if for
some reason, the video card in the PeeCee stopped sending out horz.
sync. pulses, the monitor smoked anyhow. Also, the color monitor IBEAM
sold drew too much current to run off that outlet, so it HAD to come
with a normal plug....

So yes, if you had an IBEAM MDA monitor, and screwed around with the
display driver code for your wizz-bang-boom X-657 video card, you could
smoke it.

Yet another present from the folks that brought you EBCDIC, DB-25's
used as Centronics ports, DB-9's used as serial ports and other such
standardbreakers......

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (10/29/90)

And now, a slight tangent:

In article <1990Oct28.141112.23619@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>--
>A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
>& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM
>Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
>is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

So, how do you like your Spencer gym bag? ;-) ;-) ;-)

--
Scott Coleman                                                     tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Quoth the raven: 'Eat My Shorts!'"  - Raven Bart, Simpson's Halloween Special

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (10/31/90)

Back in the early days of the PC, it was a well-known fact that some
free screen-blanking programs, when operated on some machines, caused
something in the monitor to burn out.  I'm sure today's monitors are
designed to be more resistant to this sort of thing.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kevin Phillips) (11/02/90)

In article <2637@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>Back in the early days of the PC, it was a well-known fact that some
>free screen-blanking programs, when operated on some machines, caused
>something in the monitor to burn out.  I'm sure today's monitors are
>designed to be more resistant to this sort of thing.

Today's monitors may be more resistant to burnout, but it can still
happen (it did to me).  I made the mistake of having my Hercules
card in graphics mode when I went to go answer the phone.  A few
minutes later, the monitor turned itself off, and never came back
on again.  This was app. 4 months ago.

Moral of the story:  Graphics modes and screensavers don't always
mix.

Kevin Phillips
6600kjp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
kjp@cs.ucsb.edu

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (11/04/90)

In article <5946@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) writes:
> According to him, software companies PURPOSEFULLY WRITE code into
> their copy protection which, if tampered with, would make your hard
> drive attempt to read non-existent sectors or send abnormal frequencies
> to your monitor in order to fry/lock them up.  I've certainly HUNG
> a computer many times while tinkering, but it has always been my fault.
> Has anybody heard of such a thing?  And IS there even a way to write
> codes which could do either of these destructive things?  (And could
> one accidentally destroy hardware by tinkering with programs--even
> when it's their own fault?)  It sure sounds bizarre to me.

It's certainly possible on some machines for software to damage the
video card/monitor or the hard disk by doing this sort of thing (as
one other poster noted, it's not uncommon with video cards -
especially Hercules cards, where you are often having to reprogram
the video hardware yourself since the BIOS provides no support for
the Hercules graphics modes).  It can also happen with some
combinations of hard disk controllers/drives.

But I find it difficult to believe that any reasonable company would
risk doing this _intentionally_ as a way to provide "punishment" for
violating the copy protection.  It's a good way to invite a lawsuit,
and most companies tend to view copy protection (if they use it at
all) as a way to stop the peons from copying the software, and to
slow down the knowledgeable tinkerers. Maybe the copy protection will
make it not worth the tinkerer's time, though of course some will
always take that sort of thing as a challange.

It is however quite _easy_ for unintelligent tinkering to fry the
hardware if the software is doing things like twiddling the video
hardware or disk drive (possibly to use the Hercules graphics modes,
for example, or to write a copy-protect marker on the hard disk drive),
and if the hardware happens to be susceptible to that sort of thing.

I suspect that that's what happened to your friend ...

						Bruce C. Wright