[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Modem works

jansson@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/23/90)

I would appreciate your opinion / suggestion, on what is going
on with my modem.  It worked fine until two days ago.
It does not respond to my commands but appear to execute them.
In other words:
at does not result in an ok
atdt ####### dials the number given
This fouls up all my kermit scripts and forces me to lift the
receiver to make sure that the call is answered (you are right,
this is not a big deal but.....).
I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know the make of the modem,
the manual refers to it as Super Modem 2400, and it is an internal
one.
Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Mikael
Jansson@uwo.ca

miller@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com (Bruce J. Miller) (10/23/90)

In article <7494.27238042@uwovax.uwo.ca> jansson@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I would appreciate your opinion / suggestion, on what is going
>on with my modem.  It worked fine until two days ago.
>It does not respond to my commands but appear to execute them.

You seem to have given your modem the command *NOT* to send result codes.
According to a generic "Hayes" modem manual which I have,
ATQ1 disables result codes, while
ATQ0 enables result codes.
Some modems also have a switch to set the power-up default state.

Hope this helps.

	Bruce Miller (miller@gvlv3.gvl.unisys.com)
	<Insert virus code here>
	Vacuum tubes are not dead - they just smell that way.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/24/90)

In article <7494.27238042@uwovax.uwo.ca> jansson@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I would appreciate your opinion / suggestion, on what is going
>on with my modem.  It worked fine until two days ago.
>It does not respond to my commands but appear to execute them.
>In other words:
>at does not result in an ok
>atdt ####### dials the number given
>This fouls up all my kermit scripts and forces me to lift the
>receiver to make sure that the call is answered (you are right,
>this is not a big deal but.....).
>I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know the make of the modem,
>the manual refers to it as Super Modem 2400, and it is an internal
>one.
>Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Possibly the result codes have been turned off by the 'Q' command. Try "ATQ0"
to make sure they are enabled. On Hayes compatible modems you can also select
whether you get english or numeric codes. "ATV0" enables numeric codes, "ATV1"
enables english codes.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (10/27/90)

	The most common reason a modem will appear to "work" (meaning it can
respond to commands from the PC) and still not yield information to the PC
is the IRQ line for the modem is not responding. And the reasons for that
are missetting of jumpers to other than 4 or 3, other things sitting on
the same IRQ and active at the same time, other. What this means is the
port address is ok so the modem gets commands from the PC but the modem's
program.
	Still one more case is the modem is not even close to being like
the standard 8250 UART. MS-DOS Kermit responds by using the Bios and the
Bios may not provide any responses until DSR and CTS are asserted by the
modem.
	Joe D.

genesis@kk4fs.UUCP (Genesis) (11/04/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

> In article <7494.27238042@uwovax.uwo.ca> jansson@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> >I would appreciate your opinion / suggestion, on what is going
> >on with my modem.  It worked fine until two days ago.
> >It does not respond to my commands but appear to execute them.
> >In other words:
> >at does not result in an ok
> >atdt ####### dials the number given
> >This fouls up all my kermit scripts and forces me to lift the
> >receiver to make sure that the call is answered (you are right,
> >this is not a big deal but.....).
> >I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know the make of the modem,
> >the manual refers to it as Super Modem 2400, and it is an internal
> >one.
> >Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Possibly the result codes have been turned off by the 'Q' command. Try "ATQ0"
> to make sure they are enabled. On Hayes compatible modems you can also select
> whether you get english or numeric codes. "ATV0" enables numeric codes, "ATV1
> enables english codes.
>
> Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com
> Schlumberger Technologies       UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen
> 1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
> San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

Actually,you also could do an ATV1.It changes from result codes to regular
mode.I have had the same problems,because I run a bbs it would always change
it....