[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] tape backup/multi pc's

lfischer@pluto.dss.com (Larry Fischer) (10/31/90)

I have a group of people using various kinds of pc's.  I need on occasion
to be able to back up - and let them back up - their machines to tape.
I dont want to buy 25 tape drives.  The machines are all on an ethernet
but we dont run novell... Anyone know of a setup where everyone can have
a controller and we pass the tape drive around?  Or does anyone
have any other sugestions?

Thanks
Larry Fischer

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (11/02/90)

>I have a group of people using various kinds of pc's.
>I dont want to buy 25 tape drives.  The machines are all on an ethernet
>but we dont run novell...

I use a Colorado Memory 60MB drive to backup network machines via
ethernet/TOPS.  This works fine, except the archive bits on the clients are
not reset.  (Not a problem for me)

You can go that route, or buy one drive (about $300), an "External Kit"
(about $150), and an adapter for each machine (about $100).  So your cost to
have the clients do local backup is $300+$150+($100 X #machines).
Theoretically, you don't need the adapter board; the CMS drive will run off
the floppy controller.  But that's for internal mounting -- if you want to
drag the drive around you'll want the adapter for its connector if nothing
else.  (Unless you like opening the machines a lot?)

You didn't specify the network you're running, but if it's TOPS then the
obvious cost-sensitive solution is to get the CMS drive and backup over the
ether.  CMS might work with other networks also; the tech guy I talked to
didn't know anything about backing up over a non-novell network, but no
gyrations were needed for TOPS.  (CMS's driver program says "Backing up non-
DOS drive", but it backs it up anyway...)

The tapes for the CMS drive hold 60MB, but with compression on claims are
made for 120MB - 150 MB per tape.  I'd say 100MB/tape is probably a solid
prediction overall.  A single backup set can span 99 tapes, according to the
manual.  Lots of people sell CMS: Look in the Shopper.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/06/90)

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) writes:

>>I have a group of people using various kinds of pc's.
>>I dont want to buy 25 tape drives.  The machines are all on an ethernet
>>but we dont run novell...

>I use a Colorado Memory 60MB drive to backup network machines via
>ethernet/TOPS.  This works fine, except the archive bits on the clients are
>not reset.  (Not a problem for me)

You can use the ATTRIB command to turn them off:

ATTRIB -A C:\*.* /S

>You can go that route, or buy one drive (about $300), an "External Kit"
>(about $150), and an adapter for each machine (about $100).  So your cost to
>have the clients do local backup is $300+$150+($100 X #machines).

We have done this in the past, but I've found that my users a much more
judicious about using backups if they don't have to go get the drive and
hook it up to their machines.  I buy internal drivers for all new
systems and they get a LOT more use.  Every week!

>Theoretically, you don't need the adapter board; the CMS drive will run off
>the floppy controller.  But that's for internal mounting -- if you want to
>drag the drive around you'll want the adapter for its connector if nothing
>else.  (Unless you like opening the machines a lot?)

Sounds like a lot of hassle.  I seem to remember that the old XTs had an
external floppy connector on the controller card.  I think this is where
these kind of drives became popular.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/07/90)

In article <273056e4-3c9.1comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware-1@vpnet.chi.il.us< cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) writes:
<
<I use a Colorado Memory 60MB drive to backup network machines via
<ethernet/TOPS.  This works fine, except the archive bits on the clients are
<not reset.  (Not a problem for me)
<
<You can go that route, or buy one drive (about $300), an "External Kit"
<(about $150), and an adapter for each machine (about $100).  So your cost to
<have the clients do local backup is $300+$150+($100 X #machines).
<Theoretically, you don't need the adapter board; the CMS drive will run off
<the floppy controller.  But that's for internal mounting -- if you want to
<drag the drive around you'll want the adapter for its connector if nothing
<else.  (Unless you like opening the machines a lot?)

Internal drive = $249
External kit + adaptor board = $100

total = $349/drive

Plus, $75/board for each client if you want local backup.

These prices are for Hard Drives International - see any PC related magazine.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |