[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Intel 80387 vs. CX-83D87 vs IIT-3C87 coprocessors

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) (11/06/90)

Since there has been some discussion lately in this newsgroup
concerning coprocessors I thought I would point out the good article
in the October issue of _Vulcan's_Computer_Monthly_.  This article
compares three coprocessors (the ones in the subject line above)
via the Power Meter benchmarks using the following tests: spreadsheet
simulation, word processing simulation, database simulation, CAD,
throughput, whetstone, and aggregrate system performance.

The particular reason that I am posting this is that the magazine
inadvertently left out the entire test result table for the article,
and I found out how you can get a copy of it.  Just call
1-800-366-0676 (Vulcan's phone #) and tell them you would like
a copy of their missing table for their article entitled "Three
Math Coprocessors."

I suggest that if you call them you should get a copy of last month's
issue so you can interpret the results.  In this way you won't be
simply asking for a "freebie" by calling them too.

I have no connection with this magazine, etc., etc.,.....

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

tmurphy%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.061057.2647@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>,
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Steve Smith) writes:
> Since there has been some discussion lately in this newsgroup
> concerning coprocessors I thought I would point out the good article
> in the October issue of _Vulcan's_Computer_Monthly_.

  In additition for those who may not yet have it BYTE mag for Nov. has a
review of 287's 387's weiteks, and 486's comparing all in several tests and
going into power consumpution etc.

murph