[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 80387SXs

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/03/90)

While we're on the subject of coprocessors, has anyone seen an
inexpenxive source for 80387SX's. $270-$300 is the lowest I've seen
in the Shopper ads. Does IIT make an 80387SX?
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Nov2.215517.5219@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu
(Michael R. Volow) writes:
  >While we're on the subject of coprocessors, has anyone seen an
  >inexpenxive source for 80387SX's. $270-$300 is the lowest I've seen
  >in the Shopper ads. Does IIT make an 80387SX?

In the October, 1990 issue of Vulcan's Computer Monthly there is an
article comparing Intel's 80387, Cyrix's 83D87, and IIT's 3C87
coprocessors.  In this article and elsewhere I have read that
Cyrix is not only marginally faster and more accurate, but also
runs cooler.

In this same issue on page 149, WINTEC Industries has an ad which
lists the following:

            Intel 80387SX (16 MHz): $272
            IIT 3C87SX (16 MHz):    $231
            CYRIX 3D87SX (16 MHz):  $231

WINTEC's telephone # is (415) 770-9239.

I'm sure you could find even better prices.  I just glanced in the
nearest journal in my office and found this--I have no connection
with WINTEC!

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/05/90)

[additional sources for 80387SX's as discount, posted for another
reader who does not have posting priveleges}

   The current issue of _PC Week_ (10/29/90) has a few ads that might
be of interest. MicroWay is selling the Cyrix chip for $245 while US
OUT (aka ELKCO?) has it for $235. (Prices are for the 16Mhz version).
Both places have the Intel version available for around $280. If you're
a big spender (and/or get a large number of "me toos"), a place called
The Chip Merchant has the Cyrix chip for $215 each for dealers only.

   Do you have any comparisons of the Cyrix and Intel chips? I know
Cyrix claims theirs is 100% compatible ("with IBM PC based software and
socket standards" says their ad in _PC Week_) but I also know ads can
be rather misleading.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

================================
--

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov4.175401.17770@uncecs.edu>, mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>    The current issue of _PC Week_ (10/29/90) has a few ads that might
> be of interest. MicroWay is selling the Cyrix chip for $245 while US
> OUT (aka ELKCO?) has it for $235. (Prices are for the 16Mhz version).
> Both places have the Intel version available for around $280. If you're
> a big spender (and/or get a large number of "me toos"), a place called
> The Chip Merchant has the Cyrix chip for $215 each for dealers only.

Installed the Cyrix chip last week & it works fine.  Even claims to be faster
than intel by as much as 200-300%.  Dropped our statistical calculation test
from just under 5 min. to 24 sec.  Bought it from Elkco (1-800-24-ELKCO) for
$235 +s/h.  They also had the best price on RAM at $47/Mb for 70ns 1x9 SIMMs.

Mark

--
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu