[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can a Rampage be taught LIM 4.0?

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (11/04/90)

Hi,

I have a AST Rampage 286 that I have had for some time.  At the time I
bought it LIM 3.2 was the latest which is what I have used the board
for.  I keep hearing about LIM 4.0 and was wonder if that is a software
upgrade or a hardware update.  It there is a limitation in the
board itself that prevents it from supporting LIM 4.0, can anyone
explain what it doesn't do that a 4.0 board would?  It maps a block
of memory into the first meg, what else would it have to do?

Frank

P.S. If it is a software upgrade does anyone know how much AST wants
for it?

gwni@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) (11/06/90)

In <1990Nov3.171256.16384@odetics.com> frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:

>Hi,

>I have a AST Rampage 286 that I have had for some time.  At the time I
>bought it LIM 3.2 was the latest which is what I have used the board
>for.  I keep hearing about LIM 4.0 and was wonder if that is a software
>upgrade or a hardware update.  It there is a limitation in the
>board itself that prevents it from supporting LIM 4.0, can anyone
>explain what it doesn't do that a 4.0 board would?  It maps a block
>of memory into the first meg, what else would it have to do?

>Frank

>P.S. If it is a software upgrade does anyone know how much AST wants
>for it?

The AST Rampage boards were designed to support EEMS, supported by
AST, Quadram, and I think Ashton-Tate.  The new LIM 4.0 is not much more than
the old EMS 3.2 + EEMS, but with different function numbers.
So the Rampage boards have no trouble running LIM 4.0 (they have the
extra hardware registers needed to make a full implementation practical).

All AST wants is for you to call their BBS at 714-852-1872
and download the new driver.  I believe it is called REMM42.SYS or
something like that.  Make sure its for the RAMPAGE boards (read the file
descriptions).

Last time I knew, Quarterdesk (authors of Desqview) did not feel that the
AST LIM 4.0 EMS driver was very good.  At that time, they recommended
staying with the EEMS driver when using their software.  So be warned.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (11/07/90)

In article <10250@ur-cc.UUCP> gwni@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) writes:
>Last time I knew, Quarterdesk (authors of Desqview) did not feel that the
>AST LIM 4.0 EMS driver was very good.  At that time, they recommended
>staying with the EEMS driver when using their software.  So be warned.

The reason for that is that DESQview requires EEMS to multitask.  LIM 4.0
isn't enough...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/08/90)

In article <9560@jarthur.Claremont.EDU< jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:
<In article <10250@ur-cc.UUCP> gwni@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) writes:
<>Last time I knew, Quarterdesk (authors of Desqview) did not feel that the
<>AST LIM 4.0 EMS driver was very good.  At that time, they recommended
<>staying with the EEMS driver when using their software.  So be warned.
<
<The reason for that is that DESQview requires EEMS to multitask.  LIM 4.0

Err.. not quite.. Desqview requires LARGE FRAME LIM 4.0 for efficient
multitasking.  Like windows3 (real mode) it can also multitask in small
frame EMS (64K, no backfill), but it does so by doing lots of massive
memory moves.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (11/08/90)

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) writes:

>Hi,

>I have a AST Rampage 286 that I have had for some time.  At the time I
>bought it LIM 3.2 was the latest which is what I have used the board
>for.  I keep hearing about LIM 4.0 and was wonder if that is a software
>upgrade or a hardware update....

The Rampage was actually AQA EEMS which was a superset of the LIM 3.2 EMS
standard.  The EEMS enhancements where incorporated into the later LIM 4.0
EMS standard.  Hence, the Rampage boards can be LIM 4.0 compatible
at the HARDWARE LEVEL with just the addition of a new remm.sys driver.

>P.S. If it is a software upgrade does anyone know how much AST wants
>for it?

REMM4.5.SYS is available free from the AST BBS at 714-727-4723

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato