[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA presentation on a TV

scott@max.u.washington.edu (10/31/90)

Hello,
Does anyone know if there is a TV that can be hooked up to a VGA output?
Or is there some type of converter-device that will convert a VGA signal
so that one can use a regular TV as its output?
What we are trying to achive is to display a VGA (or EGA) screen on a TV.
I know that by doing this (if possible in the first place) one would
loose some resolution, but that is not important since we are not trying
to use it for wordprocessing. Instead we need to give a computer
presentation to a room-size audience, and we would like to display
the computer-generated outputs large enough so that everyone in the
room can see it. A 14" VGA monitor is just too small. So we are
trying to use a larger display-device in the range of 30", and the only
thing that comes near that size is a TV screen (we were unsuccessful in
finding a VGA monitor of that size).

We already try to use those devices that one can put on top of a
over-head-projector and display the computer output on a wall screen.
But we find them to be too fuzzy and not sharp enough; the room had
to be darken quite a bit before a good enough display could be achived.

So at the moment we are stuck in doing it by slides and/or lengthy handouts.
Or use a Commodore 64 (an 8-bit computer designed to be used with a TV);
but we need a software that will allow us to draw graphs and charts
and fancy text-scrolls, and present them in a slide-show manner. Is there
such software for the C64?

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Scott K. Stephen

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (11/01/90)

scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>Hello,
>Does anyone know if there is a TV that can be hooked up to a VGA output?
>Or is there some type of converter-device that will convert a VGA signal
>so that one can use a regular TV as its output?

Yes.  A company called Jovian Logic makes such a beast.  Try Surplus
Technology in San Jose; they carry it and gave good service.  If you
get a TV with Super VHS input you supposedly can get very good resolution;
less good with regular composite input, as you suggested.

I know about this because I bought one.  I sent it back because this
particular product is a hardware/software combo that runs only with DOS,
and I'm running Unix.

There are other such products around.  US Video makes a VGA board with
NTSC output, but it costs over $700.

Good luck.  I'm back with a 14" monitor myself.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (11/01/90)

Here at the University we have a three gun projection system, that will
put a VGA quality high res color image that can be shot onto a white
wall.  The unit is kinda large, extreemly expensive, and kinda hard to

use in that you must 'tune' the convergance each time you move it.  This
can take up to an hour if you want shap clear pictures.

ctfm

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/02/90)

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>>Hello,
>>Does anyone know if there is a TV that can be hooked up to a VGA output?
>>Or is there some type of converter-device that will convert a VGA signal
>>so that one can use a regular TV as its output?

>There are other such products around.  US Video makes a VGA board with
>NTSC output, but it costs over $700.

Gee, I got it for $487 from Random Access.  Haven't installed it yet
though.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (11/06/90)

I bought a VGA-NTSC card 6 months ago. I got it from a local computer store.
It works GREAT! I use it with Autodesk Animator and Autodesk AutoCad to create
presentations and to 'prototype' our projects in Engineering.  Is is a SVGA
card w/ 512K 1024x768 resolution in VGA mode, standard NTSC. What I love about
this card is the fact that you can output VGA *AND* NTSC at the same time,
allowing you to see what you are doing when recording. The card also has
"GEMLOCK". This allows you to combine a NTSC input with your VGA and produce
NTSC output of the combination. (This is what your weather forcaster uses for
displaying maps on the nightly news)

 The price of the card was somwehere around $800 or so, I will look up the
 requisition anyone wishes.

 The store was: Ruddy Computer Associates, (717) 586-3807
                they are in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania.

----
Mark Solsman
The Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Campus, Scranton, Pa.
Bitnet   : MHS108 at PSUVM
Internet : MHS108 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (11/06/90)

Oh, the manufacturer was Willow Technologies, Inc.

stanley@phoenix.com (John Stanley) (11/07/90)

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) writes:

> allowing you to see what you are doing when recording. The card also has
> "GEMLOCK". This allows you to combine a NTSC input with your VGA and produce
   ^^^^^^^
> NTSC output of the combination. (This is what your weather forcaster uses for
> displaying maps on the nightly news)

   It is called genlock, and is shorthand for saying "sync GENerator phase
LOCK". All this means is that the color sync generator on the card can be
timed from an external source.

   I have not seen the card in question, but would bet that it does not
perform the video mixing. You will still need a video mixer to combine
the another NTSC signal with the NTSC graphics. All the genlock says is
that both NTSC signals will be mixable.

   The same function as a genlock can be performed with a full frame time
base corrector (TBC). The TBC reads the incoming signal into memory, and
sends it out in phase with the master timing signals it receives from the
master sync generator. The TBC has the advantage of being designed for TV
work, and so produces good NTSC output. Many low cost NTSC graphics
systems generate NTSC signals good enough to run a TV, but not to be used
for broadcast use.

   (FYI: if you ever watch a baseball game, and hear the audio get
staticy, and the picture freezes, that is a TBC at work. Somewhere in the
chain the video signal got lost. A TBC detected loss of input and kept
displaying the last good frame it got.)

<> "Aneth!  That's a charming place!" "You've been to Aneth?"
<> "Yes, but not yet." -- The Doctor and Seth, "The Horns of Nimon".
><
<> "Sanity check!" "Sorry, we can't accept it, it's from out of state." - me

yu-d@mummy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Moonrise Programmer) (11/08/90)

Darn, I seemed to have come into the middle or end of this thread.  I have a
friend who wants to do some work with the Willow cards like maybe the
Publisher's Color or the TV VGA GEO card.  Can somebody send me a summary of
the TV-VGA thread and/or the phone number to Willow Peripherals?  Thanks.

	David Yu
	yu-d@cis.ohio-state.edu

Have you kissed a facehugger today?

--
    David "as in" Yu -=- DrepuS -=- The One Who Programs by Moonlight!
            The Ohio State University - Land of the Buckeyes!