[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] formatting a miniscribe 3085

pruss@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Alex Pruss) (11/07/90)

Hi there.
I have recently purchased a Miniscribe 3085 drive.  (I bought it
used)  I had it installed at a local computer store, and they
happily did a low-level format leaving me with partitions of
33 and 50 megabytes (approx).  I didn't think that this was legal
under dos 3.3, so i used their dm.exe utility to reformat it.
Unfortunately, it now only lets me format the first 1024 cyls (the
drive has 1170) because it is missing some file swbios.com.  Is this
commonly available?  (or is there a different way to format the drive)
All I want is to be able to use fdisk and format to chop up the drive
into 3 logical drives (c: d: e: say), and still have the full capacity
of the drive available.  I've been told that I don't even need the
dmdrvr.bin driver in config.sys under dos 3.3 - is this true???

Any help (esp. the swbios.com file) would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
pat surry
patrick@engrg.uwo.ca
mayhem@uwovax.uwo.ca