[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] MK-134FA Toshiba 3.5' hard disk: jumper locations?

danher@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Daniel Hernandez) (11/10/90)

I bought a MK-134FA Toshiba 3.5' hard disk, without any accompanying
information (my fault). It works fine when used alone, but in order to
install a second hard disk on the system I need to know the
                      locations or labels of the
                         DRIVE SELECT JUMPER
                              and the
                       TERMINATING RESISTOR PACK.

Some naive guesses for the former didn't help...
Please use e-mail: I don't think this is of general interest. Thanks!

-Daniel
--
Daniel Hernandez         Inst. f. Informatik, Technische Universit"at M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21, 8000 Munich 2, Fed. Rep. of Germany

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (11/11/90)

In article <DANHER.90Nov9171824@kiss.informatik.tu-muenchen.de> danher@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Daniel Hernandez) writes:
>I bought a MK-134FA Toshiba 3.5' hard disk, without any accompanying
>information (my fault). It works fine when used alone, but in order to
>install a second hard disk on the system I need to know the
>                      locations or labels of the
>                         DRIVE SELECT JUMPER
>                              and the
>                       TERMINATING RESISTOR PACK.

Most drives (hard and floppy) sold through clone dealers don't come with
documentation.  I wrote Toshiba America, and a copy of the installation manual
was sent to me.  Here are the jumper locations for Toshiba MK-134FA:

Place the drive so that the jumpers-side is up and the faceplate is toward you.
From left to right:  #=installed at factory

	in=write protected, out=not write protected
	in=radial mode, out=daisy-chain mode
	in=drive select 4
	in=drive select 3
	in=drive select 2
	in=drive select 1 #
	terminator #
	terminator #
	terminator #
	terminator #
	terminator #
	terminator #

I have been running two of these drives with both sets of terminators on, since
I didn't know their locations before -- no problems so far.  Only one set of
terminators should be left in at the end of the cable.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao