[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Info needed: AMD 80C287 chip

xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) (11/02/90)

Greetings!

I am planning to add a co-processor for my AT compatible and just see this
287 chip (AMD 80C287) advertised in PC Mag at ~$100, manufactured by the
Advanced Micro Devices.  This is far cheaper than an Intel 287 chip.  It is
claimed to be compatible with Intel's 80287.  My question is: is it true?
Any comments, experiences, suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance!

X. Zhang

v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) (11/02/90)

you DO realize that the 80CX87 series chips are
"COMPACT" -87's (for laptops, etc.) , right??

ST

carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.221515.15575@nntp-server.caltech.edu> xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) writes:
>I am planning to add a co-processor for my AT compatible and just see this
>287 chip (AMD 80C287) advertised in PC Mag at ~$100, manufactured by the
>Advanced Micro Devices.  This is far cheaper than an Intel 287 chip.  It is
>claimed to be compatible with Intel's 80287.  My question is: is it true?
>Any comments, experiences, suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance!
>X. Zhang

The newest Byte magazine has a comparison of the coprocessors.  A quick
synopsis is that the AMD chip is good (compatible), but slightly slower
performance than the Intel XL80287 or the IIT coprocessor chip.  However,
the AMD chip is about half the cost or less, so it may be worth it to give
up a little performance.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (11/02/90)

In article <43947@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:
> you DO realize that the 80CX87 series chips are
> "COMPACT" -87's (for laptops, etc.) , right??
>
> ST

This is not quite true.  The 80C287 is a CMOS equivalent to the 80287 chip.  It
can be used in laptops and desktops.  I just ordered one of these from AMD and
will post personal experiences next week.  However, they have been tested in my
model of computer, IBM PS/2 50z.

Mark

--
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov1.221515.15575@nntp-server.caltech.edu> xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>I am planning to add a co-processor for my AT compatible and just see this
>287 chip (AMD 80C287) advertised in PC Mag at ~$100, manufactured by the
>Advanced Micro Devices.  This is far cheaper than an Intel 287 chip.  It is
>claimed to be compatible with Intel's 80287.  My question is: is it true?
>Any comments, experiences, suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance!
>
>X. Zhang

	From my E-mail Journal:

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 11:22:52 EDT
From: Bob Davis <sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com>
To: pc-users@trantor.harris-atd.com
Subject: CHEAP ($99 half-price) 80C287 Math Coprocessors

Call AMD at 1-800-888-5590 about their $99 deal on 10 MHz
80C287 Coprocessors. Saw this in #30005 comp.sys.ibm.pc.

Accept VISA, MC.

AMD = Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Austin, TX
These are CMOS chips requiring less power than vanilla 80287.

The going rate in Computer Shopper
for the last several months has been $215 or so.

These are 10 mHz chips, suitable for use with 80286 running
12 mHz or less. (You probably will make it with 16Mhz machines).

Compatible with Intel 80287 (but NOT with 80287A for some reason).

30 day warranty. They will refund money for defective chip within
first 30 days.

LIFETIME GUARANTEE: After 30 days, AMD will replace defective chip.

I could not resist. +6% tax + $6 regular mail shipping.
-----------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 15:54:28 EDT
From: Bob Davis <sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com>
To: pc-users@trantor.harris-atd.com
Subject: AMD 80C287 Coprocessor

	I installed the AMD 10MHz 80C287 Math Coprocessor
in my 12MHz 80286 machine last night. This chip, which
AMD is currently selling for $99 (compare INTEL 80287 @ $210),
passes INTEL's CHKCOP v. 2.00 Coprocessor diagnostic. It also
passes MicroWay's 87TEST 8087 diagnostic. AMD's chip is touted as
being completely compatible with the INTEL 80287.
	I ran my benchmark of 128 1024-point FFT's after installing
the 80C287 and got the following results:

	No Coprocessor : 945 seconds
      With Coprocessor : 202 seconds

This represents a speedup by a factor of 4.7 in this floating-point-
intensive engineering application.

	The AMD 80C287 CMOS coprocessor felt barely warm
to the touch.
	So far, I'm happy.

	...and now, 4 months later, I remain happy.
	   (Ecstatic, actually.)
Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (11/06/90)

In article <43947@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v087mxgb@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Shawn E Thompson) writes:

>you DO realize that the 80CX87 series chips are
>"COMPACT" -87's (for laptops, etc.) , right??
>

>ST
You have got to be joking.  COMPACT???????????? more like CMOS

The 80CX87

      CMOS technology not standard TTL but still compatible  because it
      has TTL output voltage levels.   CMOS consumes less power than
      standard TTL.  If you look at most chips these days they are using
      CMOS components with TTL signal levels (in/out).  They put the
      CMOS to TTL interface (signal level conversion) in the IC. These
      chips will work in all systems.  It just so happens that they will
      also work in laptops, etc because they consume LESS power.  Less
      power consumption in a laptop means longer battery life.

                                  Kent.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/06/90)

In article <4749@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
|These are 10 mHz chips, suitable for use with 80286 running
|12 mHz or less. (You probably will make it with 16Mhz machines).

The 287 gets a clock 2/3 of the processor. Thus, 16*2/3 = 10.67 MHz.
Now, I would never tell you to run the part past its spec, but
if you did and it worked, I wouldn't be surprised.

|Compatible with Intel 80287 (but NOT with 80287A for some reason).

I think Intel added some 387 like features to their 287A. Whether
any software USES it is another question.

|	I installed the AMD 10MHz 80C287 Math Coprocessor
|in my 12MHz 80286 machine last night. This chip, which
|AMD is currently selling for $99 (compare INTEL 80287 @ $210),
|passes INTEL's CHKCOP v. 2.00 Coprocessor diagnostic. It also
|passes MicroWay's 87TEST 8087 diagnostic. AMD's chip is touted as
|being completely compatible with the INTEL 80287.

We use the same microcode.

(I speak only for myself.)

--
I voted. Did you?

rmk@frog.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov1.221515.15575@nntp-server.caltech.edu> xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>I am planning to add a co-processor for my AT compatible and just see this
>287 chip (AMD 80C287) advertised in PC Mag at ~$100, manufactured by the
>Advanced Micro Devices.  This is far cheaper than an Intel 287 chip.  It is
>claimed to be compatible with Intel's 80287.  My question is: is it true?
>Any comments, experiences, suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance!
>
>X. Zhang

Yes, AMD has a license to manufacture the 80C287 using Intel's mask.

Rick Kelly	Charles River Data Systems	508-626-1011	rmk@frog.UUCP

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov1.221515.15575@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) writes:
> Greetings!
>
> I am planning to add a co-processor for my AT compatible and just see this
> 287 chip (AMD 80C287) advertised in PC Mag at ~$100, manufactured by the
> Advanced Micro Devices.  This is far cheaper than an Intel 287 chip.  It is
> claimed to be compatible with Intel's 80287.  My question is: is it true?
> Any comments, experiences, suggestions?  Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> X. Zhang

Just installed one last night in my PS/2 mod.50z.  Our statistical calculation
test (4way unequal ANOVA in SYSTAT) went from 5:42 (min:sec) to 0:51.  Also
considerable improvement in spreadsheets and others.  Great deal for the price
& 1-800 2nd day air service standard.  Overnight available of course.

Mark

--
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu
Amateur Radio: N4SYK      Packet Radio: N4SYK@AB4LU.FL.USA.NA
USnail: Univ. of Miami, RSMAS-BLR, 4600 Rickenbacker Cswy. Miami, FL 33149-1098

xiaohe@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Xiao-He Zhang) (11/12/90)

Hi, all!
    A few days ago, I posted a request for information on the AMD 80C287
chip.  Thanks for all of you who responded.  I ordered the chip the third
day when I saw so many positive postings and I just had the chip installed
two days ago.  It works perfectly as claimed.  Thank you!

Xiao-He Zhang