[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 'Quieting' the parallel port on boot-up

billq@ms.uky.edu (fill in blank) (11/13/90)

I have designed an external device which I am driving with the parallel port
on my PC/XT Clone.  Every thing works fine except in the case that my external
device is powered on when my computer boots-up.  I think the PC does some sort
of initialization to the port on boot-up (you know how a printer will act
funny when it's turned on before the computer).  So before I dive into the
computer's BIOS, does any one know of a way to set-up a PC so that it will boot
up in a known (pre-decided by me) state?  Or maybe a hardware short-cut?

	Thanks in advance!

--
    Billy Quinn (billq@ms.uky.edu)
                (pr01527@ukpr.uky.edu)

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (11/13/90)

In article <billq.658442613@s.ms.uky.edu>, billq@ms.uky.edu (fill in blank) writes:
> funny when it's turned on before the computer).  So before I dive into the
> computer's BIOS, does any one know of a way to set-up a PC so that it will
> boot up in a known (pre-decided by me) state?  Or maybe a hardware
>  short-cut?

Since you are willing to go with a hardware short cut, the method that
comes to mind is to patch up the card so it is not addressed at
one of the the standard printer port addresses (3BC, 378, 278).  When
the computer boots up the, the BIOS won't "find" the printer port, and
will leave it alone,  but your program will be able to find it at the new
address.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/14/90)

billq@ms.uky.edu (fill in blank) writes:

>I have designed an external device which I am driving with the parallel port
>on my PC/XT Clone.  Every thing works fine except in the case that my external
>device is powered on when my computer boots-up.  I think the PC does some sort
>of initialization to the port on boot-up (you know how a printer will act
>funny when it's turned on before the computer).  So before I dive into the
>computer's BIOS, does any one know of a way to set-up a PC so that it will boot
>up in a known (pre-decided by me) state?  Or maybe a hardware short-cut?

I'm no hardware expert, but I thinks the PC holds the reset line low (or
high) on the printer port.  My guess is that you could make a mod to
your cable to fix this.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014