[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Latest offering from DAK: advice and query

gerry@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) (11/08/90)

Yesterday, I received the latest DAK catalog.  I have the
following observation to make:

If you are in the market for a computer, you may want to seriously
consider their 386SX product, simply because of the software that
comes bundled with it.  The computer appears to be a very ordinary
machine, which 1 MB RAM, 49 MB disk, two floppies and standard VGA.
Cost $1800 + $70 S&H.  No flames to me please.  If this is a poor
machine, please post to the net.  My comment is based on having NO
knowledge of this machine.

I also have a question:
Does anyone have any experience with the CD ROM device they are
offering for sale?  Again, considering the software that comes
bundled, it appears to be a good deal.  Any opinions will be
gratefully accepted.

gerry

--
gerry roston, field robotics center
robotics institute, carnegie mellon university

curlandm@prism.cs.orst.edu (CURLAND MATHEW J) (11/09/90)

(In *my* opinion)DAK is not a place to buy anything if you're looking for
any semblance of quality. They are masters of hype. They could do a two-page
pitch on the garden-variety slug and sell half a million.
Uhh, Ohh...

Matt Curland... .  .   .    .     .      .Internet: curlandm@prism.cs.orst.edu

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (11/09/90)

>[DAK]If you are in the market for a computer, you may want to seriously
>consider their 386SX product, simply because of the software that
>comes bundled with it.  The computer appears to be a very ordinary
>machine,...
----------------------------
Look at the height of the machine in the picture. Does it look like it's
tall enough to take standard expansion cards?
The "gotcha" may be non-expandability.
				-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

yoshida@hpfcso.HP.COM (Stuart Yoshida) (11/13/90)

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
> >[DAK]If you are in the market for a computer, you may want to seriously
> >consider their 386SX product, simply because of the software that
> >comes bundled with it.  The computer appears to be a very ordinary
> >machine,...
> ----------------------------
> Look at the height of the machine in the picture. Does it look like it's
> tall enough to take standard expansion cards?
> The "gotcha" may be non-expandability.
> 				-ted-

  The cards in the BSR 386SX are inserted horizontally instead of
  vertically.  That's a trick that many "slimline" machines use.  There
  are 3 open slots available on the DAK/BSR machine.

  I have been using the BSR 386SX for about 3 months now, and I'm
  satisfied with its performance, features, and cost.  However, if
  you're not a software and/or hardware hacker, you may not want this
  machine.  Although DAK has a hardware and software support line, for
  detailed questions they're pretty worthless.  So IMHO you have to be
  comfortable with a screwdriver and taking apart the machine to root
  around inside if you're thinking about upgrading (adding memory or
  putting in a high performance graphics card) or reading notes
  a lot to glean information about DOS/Windows/etc.

--

  Stuart

  "La vida de paz."
	--Yolocamba-i-ta'

    UUCP: {hp-sdd, hp-pcd, csu-cs, edison, hplabs}!hpfcla!yoshida
Internet: yoshida%hpfcla@hplabs.HP.COM
   VOICE: (303) 229-2324

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (11/15/90)

[CURLAND MATHEW J] at prism.cs.orst.edu says:
>(In *my* opinion)DAK is not a place to buy anything if you're looking for
>any semblance of quality. They are masters of hype. They could do a two-page
>pitch on the garden-variety slug and sell half a million.
>Uhh, Ohh...

Yeah, they are master of hype, and they probably could sell half a million
slugs, but not all their stuff is cheesey. For instance, their breadmaker is
really good. It really does do all it says. I have one, have had one for a
year, and it works excellently. It does offer a bigger bowl than the others,
and although it is a bit more than 5 minutes. i.e. Washing dishes, measuring
ingridients, it does generally do what it advertises. The only bad thing is
that the guy can promise all he want to send more recipes, in the whole year,
we only get 25 extra. The machine, though, does do really good bread, and
considering how much work it would be to make a loaf the hard way, it does
save an extrodinary amount of time. The bread also comes out of the pan really
easily. I can easily say we have made more than $400 worth of bread in the year.
I would completely recommend the machine.
The ice cream machine, however, bites the big one. The bowl is WAY small, and
for the $250, it really isn't worth it.
-Ron
|Ron Winograd       |Some boy scouts were taking a survey. They knocked on a|
|ron@vpnet.chi.il.us|door and asked the gruff man who answered, "Sir, do you|
|-------------------|think that ignorance or apathy are the biggest problems|
|in America?" Annoyed, he answered, "I don't know, and I really don't care!"|