[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP - DTC7287 RLL controller + 2 floppies = 0

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/14/90)

I'm trying to hook up two floppies, a 5-1/4 and 1.44 3-1/2, and a
mitsubishi mr535 hard drive to the DTC7287 controller card from Data
Technology (Qume). Problem is, it does not work!

-after scanning all three drives, reports 'drive not ready' error.
-same behavior for startup disks on any style floppy 360, 1.2, 1.44

I had it booting with only the 1.2 meg floppy in place, but as soon as
it performed a single read, it gave a 'drive not ready' error. I think
that since the card does 1:1 interleave no read actually took place.

well, anybody have any ideas? configuration is:
386SX Neat-P9 motherboard.
DTC7287 RLL controller
the aforementioned drives
Momochrome CGA video.

HELP!

thanks
-JT

antoniop@cernvax.cern.ch (antonio pastore) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.140735.23980@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:
>I'm trying to hook up two floppies, a 5-1/4 and 1.44 3-1/2, and a
>mitsubishi mr535 hard drive to the DTC7287 controller card from Data
>Technology (Qume). Problem is, it does not work!
>
>-after scanning all three drives, reports 'drive not ready' error.
>-same behavior for startup disks on any style floppy 360, 1.2, 1.44
>
>I had it booting with only the 1.2 meg floppy in place, but as soon as
>it performed a single read, it gave a 'drive not ready' error. I think
>that since the card does 1:1 interleave no read actually took place.
>
>well, anybody have any ideas? configuration is:
>386SX Neat-P9 motherboard.
>DTC7287 RLL controller
>the aforementioned drives
>Momochrome CGA video.
>
>HELP!
>
>thanks
>-JT

I has been running the DTC controller on 2 (MFM but used as RLL ) HD and
2 FD for more than one year without any problem on 286 and 386 systems (I did
the updgrade in the meantime), and I very happy with it.
I run DOS 3.x, 4.x, XENIX, and MINIX without problems.

So my modest opinion is that you probably didn't setup correctly the
controller/drives combination.

Make sure that:

- You did not insert the FD cable upside-down (check both sides).
- The FD cable must be twisted for the second floppy drive.
- Both FD drives MUST be setup as DRIVE 2 (a jumper on the drive itself)
- You should run setup (if you have on BIOS ROM, do it) to select FD
  types.

and check that:

- All the j umper on the DTC card are setup correctly (have a look on
the installation manual, use the default setting).

When the system boots (from BIOS only) the following message MUST appear:

DTC CONTROLLER RAM CHECK...OK

If the message does not appear, this means that the ROM on the controller does
not get the control.

If you don't go any further, contact your dealer, it may be possible that the
controller does not work correctly.

Note:
- 1:1 interleave only apply to Hard Disk. The FD interleave is FIXED.
- When changing the controller, you ALWAYS need to reformat the Hard Disk(s)
before using them. A not formatted HD normally gives "drive not ready"
at system startup. Use the BIOS routine (as documented in the DTC manual) to
format the drive.

Good luck...

Antonio Pastore

| Antonio Pastore                  | CERN - CN/CE/MS Microprocessor Support |
| E-Mail: antoniop@cernvax.cern.ch | 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland (Europe)   |