[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] help - serial mouse to ps/2 mouse port adaptor !!

dbearly@vax1.tcd.ie (11/14/90)

I have an Epson AT with a PS/2 style mouse port but no mouse. I am (and others)
are wondering if there are cables available that adapt mice with serial
adaptors to connect to the PS/2 port ? If so where and how much ??

		Thanks

			Dom.

dbearly@vax1.tcd.ie
dbearly@unix1.tcd.ie

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (11/14/90)

In article <7261.27401c73@vax1.tcd.ie> dbearly@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I have an Epson AT with a PS/2 style mouse port but no mouse. I am (and others)
>are wondering if there are cables available that adapt mice with serial
>adaptors to connect to the PS/2 port ? If so where and how much ??

     The answer is ... YES!  I have the same situation.  Microsoft,
and possibly other manufacturers as well, include a connector to convert
the serial port to a PS/2 port.  I don't know if it is included in all
serial mouse packages, so you should ask.  Mine says "PS/2 version.  Serial interface also included." but it's really a serial mouse, PS/2 adaptor included.
Good luck,    Ron
.

     The views stated above do not represent the opinions of the US Air Force
or the Air Force Institute of Technology.  They are based solely on my own
experience and judgment.

           Ronald B. Perry, Captain, USAF       |
     Graduate Student, Aeronautical Engineering | rperry@galaxy.afit.af.mil
         Air Force Institute of Technology      |

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (11/15/90)

In article <1733@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) writes:
> In article <7261.27401c73@vax1.tcd.ie> dbearly@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>>I have an Epson AT with a PS/2 style mouse port but no mouse. I am (and others)
>>are wondering if there are cables available that adapt mice with serial
>>adaptors to connect to the PS/2 port ? If so where and how much ??
>
>      The answer is ... YES!  I have the same situation.  Microsoft,
> and possibly other manufacturers as well, include a connector to convert
> the serial port to a PS/2 port.  I don't know if it is included in all
> serial mouse packages, so you should ask.  Mine says "PS/2 version.  Serial interface also included." but it's really a serial mouse, PS/2 adaptor included.
> Good luck,    Ron

Also, if you don't want to fork out the big bucks for a microsoft, Radio Shack
sells a fully microsoft compatible 2-button mouse with PS/2 style plug.  I use
one on my PS/2 50z & it works great.  Only costs about $50.

--
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu