[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386sx or 386 motherboard on a IBM-PC Case?

MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET (11/10/90)

I'm posting this for someone who doesn't know how to access the net.

He's looking to replace the motherboard on his old IBM-PC (not XT or AT)
with a 386sx or 386.  Will current motherboards fit the old PC case?
What do we need watch out for in buying a replacement motherboard?

Regards,
Marcelino Bernardo
mbernar@erenj.bitnet

I would appreciate direct replies since I don't often have time to scan
this newsgroup.  This is probably something which is common knowledge to
most people here, but I'll post a summary if there is sufficient reply.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/16/90)

In article <90313.192553MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET> MBERNAR@ERENJ.BITNET writes:
>I'm posting this for someone who doesn't know how to access the net.
>
>He's looking to replace the motherboard on his old IBM-PC (not XT or AT)
>with a 386sx or 386.  Will current motherboards fit the old PC case?
>What do we need watch out for in buying a replacement motherboard?
>
>Regards,
>Marcelino Bernardo
>mbernar@erenj.bitnet
>
>I would appreciate direct replies since I don't often have time to scan
>this newsgroup.  This is probably something which is common knowledge to
>most people here, but I'll post a summary if there is sufficient reply.

Many of the new "baby" size motherboards fit XT and PC cases fine. The thing
to watch out for is that many 16 bit AT cards are taller than will fit in a
PC or XT case. Usually you can find cards that will fit, but you must be aware
of this. You CAN use 8 bit disk controllers, but performance will suffer.

Also, you may need a bigger power supply.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

RFM@psuvm.psu.edu (11/18/90)

The IBM PC is a **FIVE** slot box; Xt- and later boxes are **EIGHT**
slot (until the small-footprint units came along). If you want to upgrade, you'
ll have to purchase a new box ($@40-50 bucks). Watch out.