[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PS/2 Model 30 viedo Upgrade

trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) (11/09/90)

I wondered if anyone had any experience with PS/2 model 30's ( 8086) chip and
video upgrades.  A friend has one and wants to get a color monitor for the
MCGA supported on tyhe mother board.  Anyone have any ideas for him?

Do they make MCGA monitors? is tyhere another upgrade path he could take??

Any info would be appreciated.

Jim Sonnenmeier                  !
TRLJIM@UBVMS.BITNET  : BITNET    !    :-)
[72361,2133]  : CompuServe       !    I like to think that time and space
University at Buffalo            !    are ours to use :) ... The sky is my
Department of Mechanical/        !    joy, the wind is my lift.
Aerospace Engineering            !

DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) (11/09/90)

In article <45058@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (James
Sonnenmeier) says:

>I wondered if anyone had any experience with PS/2 model 30's ( 8086) chip and
>video upgrades.  A friend has one and wants to get a color monitor for the
>MCGA supported on tyhe mother board.  Anyone have any ideas for him?

I've also tried to upgrade my klunky Model 30 to a VGA.  I tried Paradise's
Basic VGA, but it is not compatible with Windows.

>Do they make MCGA monitors? is tyhere another upgrade path he could take??

All you need is a VGA monitor.  Just make sure that it has the right number
of pins.

>Any info would be appreciated.

--Dave

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (11/11/90)

In article <90312.151015DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu> DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Bar
>In article <45058@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu
>>I wondered if anyone had any experience with PS/2 model 30's ( 8086) chip and
>>video upgrades.  A friend has one and wants to get a color monitor for the
>>MCGA supported on tyhe mother board.  Anyone have any ideas for him?
>
>I've also tried to upgrade my klunky Model 30 to a VGA.  I tried Paradise's
>Basic VGA, but it is not compatible with Windows......
>All you need is a VGA monitor.  Just make sure that it has the right number
>of pins.

   The operative jargon here is MCGA, I thought it stood for MONO + CGA.
Meaning it has limited Mono type VGA compatability and capabilities, but
only CGA color capabilities.  Therefore, putting a color monitor on it
will result in pc-5150 era graphocs compatability....
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov11.040110.942@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu
(Allen J Michielsen) says:

>In article <90312.151015DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu> DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu
(David Barr)  {Me}
[... I talk about my klunky Model 30 and upgrading the video ...]

>   The operative jargon here is MCGA, I thought it stood for MONO + CGA.
>Meaning it has limited Mono type VGA compatability and capabilities, but
>only CGA color capabilities.  Therefore, putting a color monitor on it
>will result in pc-5150 era graphics compatability....
>al
  MCGA<>Mono+CGA.  The MCGA has the following video modes:
(not necessarily complete, this is from memory)
  All CGA modes
  No EGA modes *snif*
  320x200x256  <-----
  640x480x2

True, it is a lot like the CGA, (and is barely better than one) but
putting a color monitor on an MCGA sounds like a wise investment to me,
even if it is for that one mode.  It's a shame IBM chooses to constantly
pull sh*t like this by making "new" standards which are clearly sub-standard
and destined to fail.  (PC jr, PGA, the Model 25/30 with the slowest hard
drive in the world {85ms? at 4:1}, the PS/1)

 /David Barr - Penn State CAC Student Consultant
 \Univ. Park PA, 16802 | barr@barrstl.scol.pa.us

alexc@agora.uucp (Alex Chan) (11/15/90)

In article <90315.084206DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu> DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) writes:

> (PC jr, PGA, the Model 25/30 with the slowest hard
> drive in the world {85ms? at 4:1}, the PS/1)

	Well, your are wrong about that, the Model 30 hard-drive
	have an average access time of 35ms (According to SPINRITE II)
	at the interleave factor of 4. It is not the slowest hard
	drive in the world. The Model 25/30 would be a good machine
	to start out from for someone who is getting into the
	computer world. Of course, you could say that you could
	get the same system a lot cheaper then IBM, but as you might
	know some people out there would go for brand name products.

	Just my observations.

(Alex Chan) alexc@agora.hf.intel.com      OR  alexc%tanya@agora.hf.intel.com
DISCLAIMER: The secretary will disavow any knowledge of my actions in the
            event that I am caught or killed.

sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (Phillip McReynolds) (11/19/90)

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>    The operative jargon here is MCGA, I thought it stood for MONO + CGA.
> Meaning it has limited Mono type VGA compatability and capabilities, but
> only CGA color capabilities.  Therefore, putting a color monitor on it
> will result in pc-5150 era graphocs compatability....
> al

This is incorrect.  MCGA is a VGA-style video mode which supports
320x200x256, other 320x200 video modes, 640x200x2, and 640x480x2.

Phillip A. McReynolds,                  sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com
Licensed Philosopher              org:  Phillip's Philosophy Shop, Inc.
(MPA Certified)                "Quality Philosophy Products Since 1990"