[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SIMM chips...what I need to know

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (11/18/90)

I am about to buy a ZENITH 386SX Model 40 with 2 MB RAM on motherboard
using 2 1 MB SIMM chips.  When I buy more SIMMs to add to the motherboard, are
there different kinds of 1 MB SIMM chips (besides clock speeds of 70,80,120ns)?

--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu   &  jumper@.catt.ncsu.edu

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.223557.17504@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) writes:
>I am about to buy a ZENITH 386SX Model 40 with 2 MB RAM on motherboard
>using 2 1 MB SIMM chips.  When I buy more SIMMs to add to the motherboard, are
>there different kinds of 1 MB SIMM chips (besides clock speeds of 70,80,120ns)?
>
>--
There are 8 bit SIMMS (Macintosh's, etc.) and 9 bit SIMMS (for P.C.
Clones with parity checking). I don't know of any PC clones without
parity checking.

There are also SIPPS, which of course are not SIMMS.

Patrick Draper              In times like these it is helpful to
buster.cps.msu.edu          remember that there have always been
                            times like these.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.055615.13291@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:

>There are also SIPPS, which of course are not SIMMS.

Actually, SIPPs really ARE SIMMs, with pins soldered on to the edge connector.
You can do this yourself, or pay the dealer typically $3-$5 for the service.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |