[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] tell me more about the 386sx

mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matt Harrington) (11/20/90)

I would like to get into the IBM world, switching from
my Mac.  A laptop seems great, but I can only afford
a 386sx.  Someone a while back mentioned that more and
more software is only being written for the 386.
Does this include the 386sx?  I know that laptops are
not very expandable, but I don't anticipate needing much
more expansion than it comes with.  However, I don't want
to buy a dog of a system that won't have any software
written for it in a few years.  So, my question stands:
will the 386sx run all software that a true 386 will?

Thanks for putting up with my questions...

-Matt Harrington

--
Matthew B. Harrington                        Internet: matt@ucsd.edu
University of California at San Diego        Work shall set you free.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/20/90)

In article <14368@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mbharrin@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Matt Harrington) writes:
>written for it in a few years.  So, my question stands:
>will the 386sx run all software that a true 386 will?

Let's all sing the 386 song (sung to the tune of Revolution #9)

A 386, is a 386, is a 386, is a 386,....

According to the Intel reference manual, the SX is 100% compatible with
a DX (that's a 386SX and a 386 to the non-cognoscenti.)  An SX only has
a 24-bit address bus, so it'll only be able to address 16 Meg, compared
to a DX which'll address lots more.  Every SX based computer should run
any software that a DX can; if it doesn't, it's broken, take it back
and get your money back.  Just plan on the SX being slower than the DX.

I ran Unix Sys V3-386, OS/2, QEMM/Desqview 386, Window-386, and Windows
3.0 (386 mode) on my SX before I upgraded it.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.