[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA cable lengths

elliot@xenna.encore.com (Elliot Mednick) (11/20/90)

Is there a rule-of-thumb on how long a (S)VGA cable can be?  I attempted
extend a 2-foot cable with a shielded db9-to-db9 6'cable.  This causes
(not-too-unexpectedly) shadows, ghosts, and funny lines.  (BTW, ignore my
earlier query on VGA memory tests -- the problem was the cable length!)

What is the difference between a VGA cable and a shielded serial cable
(besides the 15-pin connector)?

__
Elliot Mednick (elliot@encore.com) |  This .signature file is undergoing
Encore Computer Corp.              |  remodeling for your convenience.
Marlborough, MA. 01752             |  Please pardon our appearance.

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (11/21/90)

In article <13304@encore.Encore.COM> elliot@xenna.encore.com writes:
>Is there a rule-of-thumb on how long a (S)VGA cable can be?  I attempted
>extend a 2-foot cable with a shielded db9-to-db9 6'cable.  This causes
>(not-too-unexpectedly) shadows, ghosts, and funny lines.  (BTW, ignore my
>earlier query on VGA memory tests -- the problem was the cable length!)
>
>What is the difference between a VGA cable and a shielded serial cable
>(besides the 15-pin connector)?

The shielded cable is terminated with it's characteristic impedance, hence
there will be minimal (ideally none) signal reflections (ie 'ghosts'). The
printer cable has a shield around all conductors collectively, whereas the
video cable has individual shielded wires. Guess what ? You have an
impedance mismatch with the printer cable. Another problem with the printer
cable is that there will be coupling between the R,G, and B signals; don't
worry about HSYNC and VSYNC because video is probably blanked when these
guys wiggle.