[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Evaluation of US Video Recordable VGA card

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/17/90)

I finally installed our US Video Recordable VGA card and gave it
a test drive.  We paid $487 for it and the list was $700 (I
think).  We got the 256K version.  A 512K version is also
available.  There is a GenLock option for it too.  I think this
has something to do with overlaying text on a video image.

This is a card that replaces your VGA card and provides NTSC
output in addition to the normal VGA.  This means you can hook up
one or more TVs and/or VCRs to your PC.  This way, someone giving
a demonstration can work on the PC while looking at the normal
VGA monitor.  The audience watches the demo on TVs.  And you can
record this for future playback.

It is actually an SVGA card and runs at higher resolutions if you
have the correct driver for your software.  Some drivers are
provided.  There was not a Win3 driver, but there were WIN/286
and WIN/386 drivers.  They may have written a Win3 driver by now.
I haven't called them yet.  They have some demo programs and with
256K, you can get 320x200x256, 640x400x256, 640x350x16,
640x480x16 and 800x600x16.  I believe the 512K version supports
1024x768x16, 800x600x256 and 640x480x256.

When I first got it working I was disappointed.  The picture on a
TV is not nearly as good as it is on a VGA monitor.  Eighty
column text is barely readable.  This is due to inadequacies in
NTSC (TVs), not in the card.  When you record, it gets even
worse.  As most of you know, VCR images are not as good as
broadcast images.  Forty column text is very readable.

My users who wanted the card were thrilled.  They have been
recording screen images by pointing a camera at the screen.
Apparently, this is MUCH better.

In the few minutes I've spent with it, I've found some little
quirks that bother me.  When one switches from normal VGA on the
monitor to dual device mode, one must reboot the PC.  That
doesn't bother me too much, but with our NEC MultiSync (the
original), I had to readjust the vertical hold, size and position
in addition to the horizontal position.  This is a bit of a
hassle.  You have to do it again when you go back to standard VGA
mode.

I could not get the 800x600x16 mode to work properly when driving
the TV.  Only the left half of the screen had any image and the
screen rolled very fast.  I could not stop the roll.  It was like
this on both the monitor and TV.  When I rebooted into the VGA
only mode, I could sync it up.  After running the 800x600x16
demo, I had to adjust the vertical hold to stop the roll.  This
may be a monitor problem.

If you plan to record, you may want to stick to 320x200x256.  I
don't think a VCR can handle more than 200 lines anyway.  The
images recorded at this resolution were much clearer than at
higher resolutions.  We used an expensive Super VHS recorder.

The only reason I can see for running at higher resolutions would
be in pure VGA or SVGA mode.  You can then run Windows in high
res like you normally would, and switch to lower resolutions when
you want to drive NTSC (TV or VCR).

I had this in an 8 MHz AT clone that I had lying around.  The
demos ran fairly slowly.  They really slowed down at higher
resolutions.  I'd hate to run Windows on this PC.  Some day (if I
get a Win3 driver) I will put the board in a faster machine and
check out the difference.

Like I said, we used an old NEC MultiSync monitor for the VGA
output.  This monitor is not a true multisync like the 2a.  From
what I understand, they only sync horizontally.  When connected to
a standard VGA card, one has to adjust the vertical height every
time the video mode changes.  This is very annoying and I may never
forgive NEC for this.  I bought a bunch of NECs for "compatibility
with future video standards" when EGA was king.

Well the next standard that came along (VGA) doesn't work well
with this monitor.  Now I have to buy new monitors to go with our
new VGA cards.  I should have saved the government's money and
bought pure EGA monitors.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I'm going to be swapping a real multisync SVGA monitor with a
pure VGA monitor next week for other reasons.  I'll try the SVGA
on this card while it's running around loose.  If I notice any
improvement over the old NEC, I'll let you know.  I'm also going
to call US Video about a Win3 driver.  The long term user of this
board wants 800x600x16 for Win3, so I'll have to keep this in the
AT until we get that driver.

To sum up, this board is useful if you are giving a demonstration
before a large group.  You may want to have several TVs (they
need video input), so no one sits too far away.  Eighty column
text is difficult, but possible, to read.  It is also useful if
you want to record screen images.  It works MUCH better than
shooting the screen with a camera.

Later.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/21/90)

I earlier wrote:

>I finally installed our US Video Recordable VGA card and gave it...

>It is actually an SVGA card and runs at higher resolutions if you
>have the correct driver for your software.  Some drivers are
>provided.  There was not a Win3 driver, but there were WIN/286
>and WIN/386 drivers.  They may have written a Win3 driver by now.

They have and it is on its way.