[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can 8086 replace 8088 in Kaypro 16eII

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (11/20/90)

My Kaypro cpu checked out.  It is a NEC V20.  I went to Radio shack and they
ordered a comperable chip, or thought they did.  Actually, an 8086 chip was
deleivered.  My owners manual specifications section, lists the CPU as an 8088.

My question is, will the 8086 work in place of the 8088 chip?  Or is it
incompatible?

Help!!

Thanks,

Gary

Please follow up to gto@sei.cmu.edu

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/20/90)

In article <9605@fy.sei.cmu.edu> gto@sei.cmu.edu (Gary Odegard) writes:
>My Kaypro cpu checked out.  It is a NEC V20.  I went to Radio shack and they
>ordered a comperable chip, or thought they did.  Actually, an 8086 chip was
>deleivered.  My owners manual specifications section, lists the CPU as an 8088.
>
>My question is, will the 8086 work in place of the 8088 chip?  Or is it
>incompatible?

No!  Would you expect an 80286 to work?  8086 and 8088 are two different
beasts.  Take the 8086 back to Radio Schlock and get your money back.
Furthermore, check the back pages of Byte or PC Mag or something and
mail-order a V-20, you'll be glad you did.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.

tom@afthree.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (11/21/90)

>My Kaypro cpu checked out.  It is a NEC V20.  I went to Radio shack and they
>ordered a comperable chip, or thought they did.  Actually, an 8086 chip was
>deleivered.  My owners manual specifications section, lists the CPU as an 8088.
>My question is, will the 8086 work in place of the 8088 chip?  Or is it
>incompatible?

You really went to Radio Shack? No the 8086 will not work, and a 8088 (which
would be fine) will not be as nice as the V20 (an enhancement of the 8088).
Try JDR Microdevices, 1-800-538-5000  They are speedy and reliable in my
experience. They list the V20 at $6.95 ($8.95 for 8Mhz) in a recent catalog.