[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Floppy-drive doesn't "see" that i change floppy!

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) (11/08/90)

Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
when I insert a new floppy....

When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...

BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
available!

Thanks, Kresten

please E-mail me at: krab@iesd.auc.dk

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/09/90)

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:

>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>when I insert a new floppy....

>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...

>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>available!

Would you be running QEMM on a DOS 4 machine?
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

bstone@convex.com (Barry Stone) (11/09/90)

Do you have a disk accelerator program installed?  I had to debug a
system that couldn't format floppies with the disk accelerator
installed.  When I de-installed it, the floppies formatted fine.

andreap@ms.uky.edu (Peach) (11/09/90)

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:

>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>when I insert a new floppy....

>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...

>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>available!

Sounds like a pin 34 problem to me.

Harold Peach, hgpeach@ca.uky.edu

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) (11/09/90)

Thanks a lot for all the letters...

The problem is now solved.. Some times I have been
using a CACHE program for my floppy --- just to
see how it was..

So this must be the solution - if you having the same
problem as descibed in the article below

don't use a cache program for your floppy!

Thanks,

Kresten

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (11/11/90)

krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>when I insert a new floppy....

>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...

>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>available!

It sound like to me that you have either a problem with the controller and/or
the drive itself.  Is you floppy a 5.25" 1.2MB drive or a 3.5" drive (either
720kb or 1.44mb)?  If is not, you need not worry about pin-34.  Pin-34 on the
360kb drive are always grounded.

Things to try.  First, make sure that the cables are on correctly, colored
edge to pin-1.  Next, format a blank disk on another computer and place it in
yours.  Now try to copy a file to this disk.  If it fails, most likely it is
your drive.  If not, see if you can read the file on the other computer.  If
the diskette every shows up as being bad ... the drive has a faulty head.

Controller card errors are a bit more rare, especially if it has been working
before.  Also, on most systems, controller errors will appear at bootup.

      __________                                          ___
     /          \                                    /   /    /_/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                                 __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                        Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412  BITnet:   jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213  UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.
                          Carnegie Mellon University

 "If you don't like having backups ... try driving without your spare tire."
Disclaimer:     The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com (Chris Elmquist) (11/12/90)

In article <marshall.658089324@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>
>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>when I insert a new floppy....

         other symptoms of the problem deleted...

>Would you be running QEMM on a DOS 4 machine?
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is there a documented problem here?

--
Chris Elmquist, N0JCF
elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/14/90)

elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com (Chris Elmquist) writes:

>In article <marshall.658089324@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>>krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>>
>>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>>when I insert a new floppy....

>         other symptoms of the problem deleted...

>>Would you be running QEMM on a DOS 4 machine?

>Is there a documented problem here?

Oops!  This was intended as a private reply.

I had a problem with DOS 4 and QEMM386 v. 4 early in the year.  It gave
me problems like the above and also prevented me from formatting 3.5"
floppies in drive B:.  When I removed QEMM, the problem went away.  I
was busy and didn't have time to track down the problem.  I just quit
using QEMM.  Then Win3 came along and I couldn't use it anyway.  I've
since gotten QEMM 5.1 and I am not having the old problems.  I don't use
the same parameters on my QEMM device statement as I did then, so I
assume one of the parameters caused the conflict.

BTW, I've been using QEMM 5.1 for about a week now.  I use it with Win3
and it saves me 80K-100K of base RAM.  So far, no problems.  Based on
this limited experience, I can highly recommend QEMM 5.1 to anyone.

I apologize for my earlier followup.
--

uw@fb14vax.cs.uni-sb.de (Uli Weis) (11/14/90)

From article <MbD3Cby00UhWQ0xM0H@andrew.cmu.edu>, by jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin):

> krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>when I insert a new floppy....
>
>>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...
>
>>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>>available!
>
> It sound like to me that you have either a problem with the controller and/or
> the drive itself.  Is you floppy a 5.25" 1.2MB drive or a 3.5" drive (either
> 720kb or 1.44mb)?  If is not, you need not worry about pin-34.  Pin-34 on the
> 360kb drive are always grounded.
[Remark: I didn't receive the original posting, just Johnny's followup,
may be, I missed something...]

Do You use cache software & does it cache the floppy? I had similar problems
when using a cache program with drive A:. May be You use some other TSR.
Test Your system with a "plain dos" (e.g. use a floppy to boot), if Your
problems still occur, You will have a hardware failure (but as Johnny does
I don't expect this)
BTW: Anybody ever used ATronics boards (ATI-386/486)? Your experience?
Greetings
uli

--
 Ulrich Weis                        | UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!uw
 Universitaet des Saarlandes        | or uw@sbsvax.UUCP

bryan@tahoe.unr.edu (Bryan Wolf) (11/15/90)

In article <256@nachos.SSESCO.com> elmquist@nachos.SSESCO.com (Chris Elmquist) writes:
>In article <marshall.658089324@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>>krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>>
>>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>>when I insert a new floppy....

I've seen this problem with new 1.4M floppies.  There is a jumper on most
floppy drives where the edge card connector plugs into the cable.  If this
jumper is set to the wrong position (one of two possibilities) then you'll get
this problem and others.  Please don't confuse this jumper with the jumpers
directly on the hard drive.  This one is directly on the edge card connecter.
Change the jumper and see if that solves the problem.  Watch for other problems,
though.  Also, before you go randomly changing jumpers, it's a good idea to
write down their original settings.

If your drive has been working for a while and just now started this,
then this probably isn't the solution.

disclaimer:  You do it.  You take the heat.
--
     Sadly, most computer users eventually become   / bryan@tahoe.unr.edu
     computer sellers to support their habits.    /   Bryan Wolf.   whee.

martyz@groucho (11/16/90)

In article <MbD3Cby00UhWQ0xM0H@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:

>krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>when I insert a new floppy....
>
>>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...
>
>>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>>available!

I had this same problem and found that lowering the number of BUFFERS in
my CONFIG.SYS corrected it.  With BUFFERS=40, my 3.5" drive behaved the
way you mentioned - it wouldn't recognize that I had changed diskettes.
With BUFFERS=8, the problem went away.

If you find the answer, I'd like to hear it.  I'm sure I'm just covering
up the real problem.

--
Marty Zimmerman
Computer Services

angelini@apollo.HP.COM (Bob Angelini) (11/17/90)

>krab@iesd.auc.dk (Kresten Krab Thorup) writes:
>>Sometimes it happens,that my loppy-drive doesn`t recognize
>>when I insert a new floppy....
>
>>When I try to "dir" it, it displays the previous directory
>>listning of that drive , and even if I `enter' the disk by
>>typing "A:" I still cannot find nor execute any files...
>
>>BUT - if I run the chkdsk command on the floppy - it somehow
>>initializes the disk, and the contents of this floppy is
>>available!

This is a common problem encountered when adding floppy drives (1.44's in particular)
to a PC. Generally the problem is that the Disk Change option jumper is not set properly
on the drive. Pin 34 of the floppy connector must be the Disk Change line. This signals
the system that the disk has been changed so the system re-reads the disk.

As a side note, "Control C" will clear the buffer and cause the system to re-read
the disk.

Bob Angelini

root@gsy1.UUCP (Scott Yates N4BBB) (11/23/90)

Most drives have a "Disk Change" jumper. Check the docs. This has popped
up many times over the years, and is well known

--
Scott Yates, N4BBB    o    o    DOMAIN: gsy@gsy1.JOBSOFT.COM
Yates Pest Control     \  /     UUCP: ....uunet!mjbtn!gsy1!gsy

            <<< "Bugs Are my Life " >>>