[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Fujikama Motherboards

rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) (11/19/90)

	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
I can't recall the exact model of the board.

Thanks
Salik.
--
Salik Rafiq                      internet:      rafiq@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Department of Computer Science	                rafiq@gold.cs.UManitoba.CA

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov18.215739.24297@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) writes:

>	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
>Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
>I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
>where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
>32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
>I can't recall the exact model of the board.

Quite frankly, they suck.

timk@xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (11/20/90)

><1990Nov18.215739.24297@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca
>				(Salik "slick" Rafiq) :
>
>	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
>Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
>I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
>where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
>32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
>I can't recall the exact model of the board.

I have their 25MHz 64K Cache 386 board (which can hold 16MB on the MB) in
my system for almost a year now and no complaints so far. A local
university installed a whole slew of their PCs in their labs, so
they must be doing something right.

Basically they're an OEM in Concord, Ont. who makes various PC and PC
related products.

Timothy D. Kuehn    TDK Consulting Services  "Where Quality is Guaranteed"
timk@xenitec.on.ca  uunet!watmath!xenitec!timk 119 University Ave. East
office: (519)-888-0766 fax: (519)-747-0881     Waterloo, Ontario
Home:   (519)-742-2036			       Canada. N2J 2W1
Contract services available in Dos/Unix/Xenix - SW & HW. Clipper, Foxbase,
FoxPro, C, Pascal, Fortran, Assembler etc.

rcurrie@BNR.CA (Ron Currie) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.150931.21751@xenitec.on.ca>, timk@xenitec.on.ca
(Tim Kuehn) writes:
|> ><1990Nov18.215739.24297@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca
|> >				(Salik "slick" Rafiq) :
|> >
|> >	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
|> >Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
|> >I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
|> >where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
|> >32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
|> >I can't recall the exact model of the board.
|>
|> I have their 25MHz 64K Cache 386 board (which can hold 16MB on the MB) in
|> my system for almost a year now and no complaints so far. A local

I too have their 25MHz 64K Cache 386 unit. I have only had it for a month,
but have no complaints yet. The complete unit came with a TVGA video
card and FUJIKAMA monitor.

Ron Currie
RCURRIE@BNR.CA

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (11/23/90)

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) writes:

>In <1990Nov18.215739.24297@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) writes:

>>	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
>>Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
>>I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
>>where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
>>32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
>>I can't recall the exact model of the board.

>Quite frankly, they suck.

	Would you mind elaborating on this stupid unsubstaniated statement.
All those of us who have been running Fujikamma motherboards for years with
no problems would love to know.

Ajai

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (11/25/90)

In <ajai.659371197@rigel.sce.carleton.ca> ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:

>guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) writes:

>>In <1990Nov18.215739.24297@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rafiq@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Salik "slick" Rafiq) writes:

>>>	I have seen a 386-33Mhz caching motherboard by
>>>Fujikama. I haven't heard of them before, has anybody else.
>>>I'd like to hear both good and bad. This is the large board
>>>where you can install up to 16MB on the motherboard (no
>>>32-bit slots) 4Meg of which is in DIPP, the rest in SIMM. Sorry
>>>I can't recall the exact model of the board.

>>Quite frankly, they suck.

>	Would you mind elaborating on this stupid unsubstaniated statement.
>All those of us who have been running Fujikamma motherboards for years with
>no problems would love to know.

Sorry, but I was running short of time in the original post, and had to cut
it short!

My problem with Fujikama is their absolute *lack* of service.  I am a dealer,
and have tried various suppliers for computer equipment.  Although I have
to say that Fujikama probably has some of the best prices around, I also
noticed that you "get what you pay for".

For example, with the first 386-20 MB I purchased from them, it refused to
work with a Mitsumi keyboard.  I brought the MB back to them 3 times to get
fixed, and each time they returned it without any changes.  Finally, I
demanded to go to their repair bench myself.  I demonstrated the problem,
and then showed them how to fix it.  It required a BIOS change.

At first, they were reluctant to let me in to the back room.  And once I
showed them how to fix the problem, it was a hassle to convince them to
give me the new BIOS chips.

I am upset with them for not being able to correctly diagnose the problem
in the first place, and then for not being willing to correct the problem
once it (and the solution) was pointed to them.

My second problem was with the second 386-20 MB I purchased from them.  It
only came with 2 MB DIP RAM support, but it did have a 32 bit slot.  A mere
6 months after purchasing the system, I tried to buy the 32 bit memory card
from them.  They told me they did not have any in stock, and would never
be getting any.  I asked why not.  They told me that they no longer supported
that motherboard.

UHMF!  I refuse to deal with somebody who drops support for their products
in as little as 6 months!  IBM is better than that!  ( I think you can still
get PCjr parts, for a price ;-)

My point is that I would not trust what they say any further than I could
throw a pickup truck.  I found their customer support lousy and their service
distasteful.  I no longer deal with them.

>Ajai

PS:  I personally own a Fujikama motherboard, and it has been running for
     just over a year now without too many problems.  I don't expect to be
     adding any memory to it though :-(

Buyers Beware!