[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 15->9 pin monitor hookup...

root@scona (Corey Wirun) (10/31/90)

I've got a TATUNG monitor which I'm currently running EGA. (9 pin
connector). I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this
even possible to get to work? The monitor is supposed to be able to
do VGA as well. It's about 3 years old.

Thanks loads.

"This, of course, is impossible..."  - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
        Corey Wirun, BSc - Systems Analyst,  Esso Petroleum Canada,
               Strathcona Refinery.  Edmonton, Alberta
   root@scona.UUCP || cwirun@uncanet.BITNET || cwirun@ucnet.ucalgary.ca

kevinr@malta.sbi.com (Kevin Redden) (11/02/90)

In article <HVBwR1w163w@scona>, root@scona (Corey Wirun) writes:

> .... I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
> it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
> the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this

I've got an orginal NEC MultiSync monitor with a plug for the EGA card.
When IBM announced the VGA in 1987, NEC said they would supply an adapter
for free to old MultiSync owners who wanted to use the monitor with the
VGA card.

Since I didn't have a VGA then, I decided to be a good citizen and
not ask NEC for something I didn't need at the time. Now that I have a VGA
display, and I need the adapter. I called NEC, and after being put on hold
for almost an hour, I was told that they only sell the adapter, and it cost $48.

I would obviously like to avoid paying for a simple wiring adapter. Does
anyone know the pin outs for this adapter?

Kevin Redden (201) 896-7093
Salomon Tecnology Services

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (11/05/90)

>> In article <HVBwR1w163w@scona>, root@scona (Corey Wirun) writes:
>>
>> .... I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
>> it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
>> the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this
>>

> I've got an orginal NEC MultiSync monitor with a plug for the EGA card.
> When IBM announced the VGA in 1987, NEC said they would supply an adapter
> for free to old MultiSync owners who wanted to use the monitor with the
> VGA card.

> Since I didn't have a VGA then, I decided to be a good citizen and
> not ask NEC for something I didn't need at the time. Now that I have a VGA
>> display, and I need the adapter. I called NEC, and after being put on hold
> for almost an hour, I was told that they only sell the adapter, and it cost $48.

> I would obviously like to avoid paying for a simple wiring adapter. Does
> anyone know the pin outs for this adapter?

Speak of the devil...

 I have/had the same problem with my old Multisync and just finished up the
soldering project last night.

The pin outs are:

	9-Pin Connector				15-Pin Connector
	Signal	    Pin				Signal	     Pin
        ---------------                         ----------------
	Red	     1				Red	     1
	Green	     2				Green	     2
	Blue	     3				Blue	     3
	Horiz. Sync  4	                        Horiz. Sync  13
	Vert. Sync   5 				Vert. Sync   14
	Red Ground   6				Return Red   6
	Green Ground 7                          Return Green 7
	Blue Ground  8 				Return Blue  8
	Sync Ground  9				Digital Ground 10
						Ground       5

  The connectors shouldn't cost you more than $6 at your local Radio Shack.
The only problem I had was trying to find a housing for my creation and I
ended up stripping a gender changer rather than buy a new one.

  I've tried my adaptor on a Paradise and a Trident card and it works
wonderfully with both.

  I once did see an 8-bit ATI VGA card that had a 9-pin connector that
would work with the original Multisync in VGA mode, but check it out ahead
of time. My Trident card has both a 9-pin and a 15-pin connector, but the
9-pin is just an EGA connector and is absolutely worthless with my Multisync.

--

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

KDM101@psuvm.psu.edu (Kevin Maher) (11/07/90)

In article <HVBwR1w163w@scona>, root@scona (Corey Wirun) writes:

> .... I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
> it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
> the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this

There is a commercially available cable to hook up a multisync monitor. It's
not expensive either.  You can get it from Dalco Electronics (ads in computer
shopper) for about 12 bux. (last time I saw their ad)  For those of you that
hate to solder wires, this doesn't cost that much more than building it
yourself.  I'm sure there are other companies offering this cable, but this was
the first I saw. (they have tons of stuff...at low prices..and it's decent.
I've dealth with them many times before.)
  |    OOO                       |                                          |
  |   O   O                SSS   |  Why do today what's due tomorrow?       |
  |   O   O  PPP   U   U  S      |                                          |
  |   O   O  P  P  U   U   SSS   |  Hey...sounds good to me!  =-)           |
  |   O   O  PPP   U   U      S  |                                          |
  |    OOO   P      UUU   SSSS   |  KDM101@PSUVM         O04@PSUVM          |
  |          P                   |  KXM@PSUARCH          kmaher@psusun01    |
   Why should I want to disclaim anything???  It only makes me look guilty!

userNQNF@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Dale A. Ulan) (11/13/90)

>In article <HVBwR1w163w@scona>, root@scona (Corey Wirun) writes:
>>
>> .... I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
>> it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
>> the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this
Here's what I get from my adapter going the other way:
15-pin         VGA     PGC   EGA    9-pin
1            Red        Red  Gnd     1
2            Green      Grn  SecRed  2
3            Blue       Blu  PriRed  3
13           HSync      Sync PriGrn  4
14           VSync      N/C  PriBlu  5
5            Gnd        RGnd SecGrn  6
15           N/C        GGnd SecBlu  7
12           N/C        BGnd HSync   8
10           Gnd        Gnd  VSync   9

This adapts an EGA/CGA or some 9-pin VGA to an NEC 3D.
I would check the pinouts in the monitor manual and match
them up with those in the ATI manual. It seems as though
my  monitor is doing some internal switching, given the
different pinouts for PGC,EGA, and CGA. If your monitor
used to work with EGA, match up the EGA pins (Hsync,
VSync, colours, grounds) to what the VGA card is spitting
out. In that case, it looks like these pins should be
wired together...
15 pin     9 pin        15 pin    9 pin
1  to     3            10  to    1
2  to     4            13  to    8
3  to     5            14  to    9
I would check the signals out with an oscilloscope before
hooking up the beast, just to avoid smoke, if available.
The ATI VGA Wonder determines what monitor is hooked up
by software (the later ones, anyway), so it is rather
critical that there be a monitor hooked up and turned on
prior to powerup. This also doesn't allow you to switch
monitors mid-session... lest the card begin to emit nasty
odors. (or the monitor). This makes a bought adapter sound
nicer. I'd hook my monitor up using my wiring suggestions,
but I'm not necessarily recommending that you do likewise.
If your monitor smokes, remember, I warned you. Chances are
it won't- you probably won't get a picture if it isn't
hooked up right. You may want to use 50 or 330 ohm resistors
in line, so if it doesn't work, it won't smoke. When it
works, remove the resistors and make the connections straight.

Enjoy the high-res modes of that ATI card- it's a good
little unit. The extra 256K of RAM (to bring it up to 512K)
is well worth it, it enables 1024x768/16 , 640x480/256, and
800x600/256.
Disclaimer--- the above is only what I got out of my
manuals. If I blow my monitor, that's my problem, if
you blow yours, that's NOT my problem.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/26/90)

$In article <HVBwR1w163w@scona>, root@scona (Corey Wirun) writes:
$ .... I'm going to try out an ATI VGA Wonder card. I am assuming
$ it's got a 15-pin output. So, if there is a digital/analog switch on
$ the monitor, what am I losing by getting a 15->9 pin adapter? Is this

   The VGA Wonder has 9- and 15-pin connectors.  Just keep in mind that
if you use the 9-pin EGA connector, you get EGA output.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always