[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VIN

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu E. Teng Ong) (11/24/90)

Does anyone owns a VIN (VGA to NTSC) conversion box from the
American Multisystems?  From their ad in Computer Shoppers, I thought it
looks like something which I can use to convert my VGA signal into NTSC
and display on my regular TV (that is, big screen VGA output without
the big price of a 20" VGA monitor).

I called American Multisystems, the impression they gave me was that the
VGA signal are NOT continuously converted to NTSC to the TV set, but you
have to push a button or something to get a screen converted into NTSC.  This
would not be helpful since I don't wanna be pushing that "button" all the time
since my hands will be on the joystick or keyboard on my favorite PC game.

Anybody knows anything about this please clear it up.

Thanks in advance.

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)
Computer Science Dept.
Oklahoma State University

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (11/27/90)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu E. Teng Ong) writes:

>Does anyone owns a VIN (VGA to NTSC) conversion box from the
>American Multisystems?  From their ad in Computer Shoppers, I thought it
>looks like something which I can use to convert my VGA signal into NTSC
>and display on my regular TV (that is, big screen VGA output without
>the big price of a 20" VGA monitor).

I had a negative experience of both VIN (from Jovian Logic) and American
Multisystems.

I called AM and got passed around; they didn't seem to know how to take my
order!  Indeed, that's what happened.  In spite of being told, "yes, we'll
ship it UPS Blue on Monday," Wednesday came and no VIN.  I called back and
they'd never entered my order!  I told them to forget it.

I then ordered a VIN from Surplus Technology.  Turns out the VIN needs software
to work, and the software runs only under DOS.  I didn't investigate much
further after that, but I didn't see anything about "pushing a button".  You
have to load a driver, but your AUTOEXEC.BAT file can handle that.

Overall, I was happy with Surplus Technology (tho I haven't yet received my
refund for the VIN yet).  They're at 408-244-5600.

There are also other VGA->NTSC converters around; don't know anything about
them, as I gave up and bought a VGA monitor.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with either of the two mentioned companies,
except as a grossly unsatisfied customer (AM), and a tentatively satisfied
customer (Surplus, depending on the prompt delivery of my refund check).

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...