[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Update on Micro Express order

mlaird@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael Laird) (11/28/90)

Recently I posted a message describing my _long_ wait for my order from
Micro Express (a 386sx).  Well, yesterday, it arrived.  (total elapsed
time from original order:  _4_ months!  -- I know -- I'm too patient...)

It looks impressive, and my first glances through the documentation
seem to indicate that the manuals are fairly thorough, but the computer
is _dead_! (ie, no display on the monitor, no beeps from POST, no accessing
of the hard drive or floppies, -- nothing!)

I called them immediately, and after a short while, talked to someone in
their tech support department.  We couldn't find the problem over the
phone, so I'm shipping it back to have them fix it.  (they pay the
shipping, of course)

Just thought I'd bring everyone up to date from my original posting, and
encourage those inquiring about mail-order companies to strongly
consider buying from a company with an on-site service policy!

 - mdl
Michael Laird                |                            mlaird@cs.clemson.edu

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (11/28/90)

In my opinion, Micro Express should have sent you a new system after
making you wait for 4 months.  Overnight at that.
--

Dean Lodzinski         DEAN_L@TURBO.Kean.edu, lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      csra19@TURBO.Kean.edu or D.LODZINSKI on GEnie

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (11/28/90)

Micro Express: these are the folks I bought my VGA Vega 1024i from.  I
remember them because after talking to them three weeks after they
promised it, they said "we just sent it out".  I recall it because as I
listened to their excuses I was crossing out the word "express" in their
add in PC Magazine.  There are too many good mail order houses to ever
consider them again (regardless of price)....

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/28/90)

In article <Nov.27.14.00.01.1990.22024@pilot.njin.net> lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) writes:
>In my opinion, Micro Express should have sent you a new system after
>making you wait for 4 months.  Overnight at that.
>--
 Not a general comment on Micro Express, but their 20Mhz 386sx was an
Editor's Choice in PC Mag, Nov 27,1990 issue. Read it anyway you please
(extra load due to popularity, deserved ?)