[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard disk problems with st225 and wd1002a-wx1

mopar@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jerome A Marella) (11/28/90)

I'm having a problem with my hard disk. When I format my disk DOS format
only recognizes 2 heads on my st225 which has 4 heads. I do not have any
docs for either the drive or the controller. Could someone who has the
docs send me info on the controller and the drive so I can find out what
the problem is. Thanks!!

Jerome

mopar@unix.cis.pitt.edu

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (11/28/90)

In article <64641@unix.cis.pitt.edu> mopar@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jerome A Marella) writes:

>I'm having a problem with my hard disk. When I format my disk DOS format
>only recognizes 2 heads on my st225 which has 4 heads. I do not have any
>docs for either the drive or the controller. Could someone who has the
>docs send me info on the controller and the drive so I can find out what
>the problem is. Thanks!!

Did you try a low level format?  Get into debug and at the prompt(-) type
in g=c800:5 and return, then follow the directions.  ST225 has 4 heads,
615 cylinders, 21.4MB capacity, step pulse range 5-200usec, ave access time
65ms, recording method MFM, write precomp = 300, land zone = 615.
Goodluck!  Hope this helps!  Oh, I just assumed you had a WD controller.
An adaptec controller uses g=c800:ccc, a Konan KXP-230 controller uses
g=c800:6.  If this is an AT which I doubt it's a type 2 drive.

  Robin Amano          |  robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
  UHCC                 |
  2565 The Mall        |  Honolulu, HI  96822