[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tape controller config: Archive SC400S and Everex

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (11/29/90)

----

I have some tape controllers lacking documentation, and I was hoping
someone out there could tell me what the options are on the following:

1) Archive SC400S - Need to know how to strap the address of this
   card.  Address strap is a strip of 7 jumpers labeled A3-A9.

2) Everex Systems EV831 rev. F (aka Bell Tech 60MB tape controller).
   Need to know the meaning of the DIP switches.

Many thanks...

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/29/90)

>1) Archive SC400S - Need to know how to strap the address of this
>   card.  Address strap is a strip of 7 jumpers labeled A3-A9.

I've forgotten the specifics, but there are two varieties of address
decoding on the Archive cards. Basically, the address is in BINARY,
where the An label means 2^n. On the older cards, you turned bits on by
jumpering the straps (i.e. A8 gave you $200, A9 gave you $300, etc).
On the newer cards, you turned bits on by REMOVING jumpers (e.g.
all jumpered EXCEPT A9 gave you $300 ... etc).

The "older" cards were full-length and mostly discrete logic. The "newer"
cards (still made, I've heard) are half-length with more ASIC's on them
than discrete.

Hope this helps.

curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (11/29/90)

In article <17745@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>----
>
>I have some tape controllers lacking documentation, and I was hoping
>someone out there could tell me what the options are on the following:
>
>1) Archive SC400S - Need to know how to strap the address of this
>   card.  Address strap is a strip of 7 jumpers labeled A3-A9.

I use 0x200 as the base address on my card, but shorting pins labeled A9.
If you have a game card, it will conflict and you might try address
0x300 by shorting A9 and A8.  In general, you can figure out the
correspondance between addresses and jumper settings.  If you let A9 be
the value 1 when shorted or 0 when open, the base I/O address in binary
is simply:     A9 A8 A7 A6 A5 A4 A3 0 0 0

Other important settings are on jumpers near the edge connector for
selecting the interrupt and DMA channels.  I am using IRQ3 (the jumper
labeled "234567" with jumper on position labeled "3") and DMA channel 1
(jumper labeld "123123" with jumpers on both positions labeld "1").
If you are using the Archive FASTAPE software, be sure to run the
FTINSTAL program to configure the software and tell it your base I/O
address, interrupt, and DMA channel.

Ray
--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci