[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Should cheap XT clone support original babyblue mono display?

paulm@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Paul Matulonis) (12/01/90)

All right, Net Tech gurus, I need your assistance again...

Situation:
	Replaced an original PC-XT motherboard with cheap
XT-clone (V20 cpu; 1mb ram; cheap support chips - no C&T)
(brand name = unique Turbo UX 12Mhz)
	Board runs but does not seem to support the original
baby blue monochrome card / monitor.  Runs OK with a Hercules
color card and cheap composite monitor.  The mono board / monitor
run OK in another (original) PC (they seemed not to be the cause of
my original problem - no access above 192K by p.o.s.t.).

Questions:
		Are there known compatibility problems between
these items that I should be aware of?
	Should I return the moth board?
		What's a decent monitor I could use in place of the
original mono combo(using the Herc card)? (the prof I'm helping out
wants better resolution at minimal cost; this system is used for
manual entry of long protein and other sequences by lab slaves).

Any and all help is appreciated.  Email is the preferred response
as I don't have much time for this group after all the other
groups get read (such as c.s.amiga -- gotta keep my personal
antique up and running!)

paulm@sci.ccny.cuny.edu

Paul Matulonis
Department of Biology
City College of NY

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (12/01/90)

paulm@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Paul Matulonis) writes:

>All right, Net Tech gurus, I need your assistance again...

>Situation:
>	Replaced an original PC-XT motherboard with cheap
>XT-clone (V20 cpu; 1mb ram; cheap support chips - no C&T)
>(brand name = unique Turbo UX 12Mhz)
>	Board runs but does not seem to support the original
>baby blue monochrome card / monitor.  Runs OK with a Hercules
>color card and cheap composite monitor.  The mono board / monitor
>run OK in another (original) PC (they seemed not to be the cause of
>my original problem - no access above 192K by p.o.s.t.).

>Questions:
>		Are there known compatibility problems between
>these items that I should be aware of?
>	Should I return the moth board?
>		What's a decent monitor I could use in place of the
>original mono combo(using the Herc card)? (the prof I'm helping out
>wants better resolution at minimal cost; this system is used for
>manual entry of long protein and other sequences by lab slaves).

>Any and all help is appreciated.  Email is the preferred response
>as I don't have much time for this group after all the other
>groups get read (such as c.s.amiga -- gotta keep my personal
>antique up and running!)

>paulm@sci.ccny.cuny.edu

>Paul Matulonis
>Department of Biology
>City College of NY

Did you check dip switches? Some new M/B has different set up
on swithes #5 and #6.

Good luck.

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu