[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ethernet Cards and long lines

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (11/15/90)

I'm looking for a manufacturer of ethernet cards that can RELIABLY handle
long drop lines.  We have several Western Digital WD8003E cards, some of
which can handle line lengths of 125 feet or so and others that can only
handle 65 feet or so.  I've talked to tech support at WD and they admit
that they have a problem with longer distances and are "looking into the
problem"  Meanwhile, I'm looking for alternate sources of ethernet cards.

My constraints are:
  1)  Must handle drop line lengths of 125 feet or more
  2)  Must support NCSA telnet/ftp (with packet drivers)
  3)  Must be under $500 (<$300 is preferable so I bypass our purchasing dept.)
  4)  Must be relatively fast  (at least 50 Kbytes/s ftp transfer)

Desirable, but not required
  1) 16 bit bus   (I don't know if it will be that much faster, but having
                   having access to IRQ8-15 would be nice)
  2) Suport for Novell, PC-NFS, etc.  (we aren't using them now, but I can
                                       always dream...)

What I really want is a reliable card 50% to 75% return rate is unacceptible!

Thanks in Advance,

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

jrd@cc.usu.edu (11/18/90)

	A few messages back a person exclaimed disappointment at the
reliability of popular Ethernet boards (such as WD8003E) handling long drop
lines (60-125' were mentioned). I think it's safe to say that the longest
line coming off the PC side of the Tee connector should be precisely zero
feet. It's not the boards, it's physics and violation of the operating
principles thereof.
	Joe D.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (11/24/90)

In article <17132@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
>I'm looking for a manufacturer of ethernet cards that can RELIABLY handle
>long drop lines.  We have several Western Digital WD8003E cards, some of
>which can handle line lengths of 125 feet or so and others that can only
>handle 65 feet or so.  I've talked to tech support at WD and they admit
>that they have a problem with longer distances and are "looking into the
>problem"  Meanwhile, I'm looking for alternate sources of ethernet cards.

If you mean by "drop-line", running 65-125' of thinnet from a tee connector
from another thinnet - you're in violation of the 802.3 10base2 spec.

You can't run thinnet "drops" off of a thick/thinnet and expect reliability
(or even your net to work).
--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/27/90)

In article <17358@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
|In article <17132@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
|>I'm looking for a manufacturer of Ethernet cards that can RELIABLY handle
|>long drop lines.  We have several Western Digital WD8003E cards, some of
|>which can handle line lengths of 125 feet or so and others that can only
|>handle 65 feet or so.  I've talked to tech support at WD and they admit
|>that they have a problem with longer distances and are "looking into the
|>problem"
|
|If you mean by "drop-line", running 65-125' of thinnet from a tee connector
|from another thinnet - you're in violation of the 802.3 10base2 spec.

Why does everyone assume this guy is a bozo who's running
cable off a thinnet T? I figured he was talking about AUI
cables. Wouldn't WD have told him about his error if he
was running cables off a thinnet T, instead of admitting
_they_ had a problem?

The AUI spec is 50 meters so 125 feet should be legal if
he is talking about AUI cables.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/27/90)

In article <17358@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
>In article <17132@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
>>I'm looking for a manufacturer of ethernet cards that can RELIABLY handle
>>long drop lines.  We have several Western Digital WD8003E cards, some of
>>which can handle line lengths of 125 feet or so and others that can only
>>handle 65 feet or so.  I've talked to tech support at WD and they admit
>>that they have a problem with longer distances and are "looking into the
>>problem"  Meanwhile, I'm looking for alternate sources of ethernet cards.
>>

>If you mean by "drop-line", running 65-125' of thinnet from a tee connector
>from another thinnet - you're in violation of the 802.3 10base2 spec.
>
>You can't run thinnet "drops" off of a thick/thinnet and expect reliability
>(or even your net to work).

I imagine he is referring to a thick transceiver cable drop. These are limited
to 50m (> 150') in the spec.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.180842.9530@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
|>In article <17358@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
|>|
|>|If you mean by "drop-line", running 65-125' of thinnet from a tee connector
|>|from another thinnet - you're in violation of the 802.3 10base2 spec.
|>
|>Why does everyone assume this guy is a bozo who's running
|>cable off a thinnet T? I figured he was talking about AUI
|>cables. Wouldn't WD have told him about his error if he
|>was running cables off a thinnet T, instead of admitting
|>_they_ had a problem?

Yes, I (the original poster) forgot to mention that they are THICK ethernet
cables.

|>The AUI spec is 50 meters so 125 feet should be legal if
|>he is talking about AUI cables.

WD claimed 300 meters, maybe they should read the spec :-) In all fairness I
should read it as well.

Now, before the debate on my bozo rating gets geared up...

Does anybody know of an ethernet card that handles THICK ethernet lines of
125 feet or more?

Thanks in Advance,

--

In article <17572@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:
||>The AUI spec is 50 meters so 125 feet should be legal if
||>he is talking about AUI cables.
|
|WD claimed 300 meters, maybe they should read the spec :-) In all fairness I
|should read it as well.

Now I'm confused. I don't understand what this 300 meters would be.
10BASE5 allows a 500 meter segment. (the thick yellow stuff)

|Does anybody know of an ethernet card that handles THICK ethernet lines of
|125 feet or more?

Well, as I said, the spec for AUI cables is 50 meters and I can't
say I've ever run into a problem with this particular limitation.
In fact, I am using a WD8003 (E? I don't know) and have never had
any trouble with it, although I don't know exactly how long my
AUI cables have been. By the way, the 50 meters is for regulation
AUI cable, there are "office rated" AUI cables which are thinner,
more flexible, and much higher loss. I think they have a distance
multiplier of about 4. Are your AUI cables more flexible than normal?
That might be related to your problem.

We also use, although none of this should be construed as a
recommendation, 3Com cards, and don't have any particular problem
with AUI cable length on them either.

Another possible option is to bring the thick yellow stuff closer
to your nodes.

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

willis@photon.tamu.EDU (Willis Marti) (11/28/90)

Does anybody know of an ethernet card that handles THICK ethernet lines of
125 feet or more?

...was the original question.  In fact, *all* cards should handle
50 meters ~= 162 feet, or they don't meet the spec.  But before you beat
up WD, which type of transceiver cables are you using (mfg & model) and
what kind of transceiver (ditto) are you using? Those can also be the
culprits.

dave@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dave Goldblatt) (11/28/90)

In article <10421@helios.TAMU.EDU> willis@photon.tamu.EDU (Willis Marti) writes:

   Does anybody know of an ethernet card that handles THICK ethernet lines of
   125 feet or more?

   ...was the original question.  In fact, *all* cards should handle
   50 meters ~= 162 feet, or they don't meet the spec.  But before you beat
   up WD, which type of transceiver cables are you using (mfg & model) and
   what kind of transceiver (ditto) are you using? Those can also be the
   culprits.

The maximum unrepeatered 10BASE5 segment (again, the yellow stuff) is 500m
(1640.42 ft), and the maximum AUI is 50m (164.04 ft).  That's the
spec.  It is certainly possible the tranceivers are not up to spec,
and are causing the problems; although the original poster did not
mention whose tranceiver he was using, he did state that WD "knew of
the problem", and thus it seems likely to be on their end.

As an aside, our stuff is all tested at the spec (these BIG spools
lurk in the darkened corners of the lab waiting for you to trip over
them...), and passes without problems.  (not a plug, mind you; I don't
do sales)

-dg-

--
"You can twist perceptions	*	Dave Goldblatt	  dave@interlan.com
 Reality won't budge..."	*	Diagnostic Engineering

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.072930.1813@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

>|WD claimed 300 meters, maybe they should read the spec :-) In all fairness I
>|should read it as well.
>
>Now I'm confused. I don't understand what this 300 meters would be.
>10BASE5 allows a 500 meter segment. (the thick yellow stuff)

He may be referring to the maximum length of a thin wire segment.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

In article <1990Nov26.180842.9530@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

| The AUI spec is 50 meters so 125 feet should be legal if
| he is talking about AUI cables.

  And in answer to another question earlier this week, my net guru told
me that ethernet and 802.3 are not only diferent at the packey level,
but also in some of the physical specs.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (11/29/90)

>>|WD claimed 300 meters, maybe they should read the spec :-) In all fairness I
>>|should read it as well.
>>
>>Now I'm confused. I don't understand what this 300 meters would be.
>>10BASE5 allows a 500 meter segment. (the thick yellow stuff)

Maybe I can shed some light on the subject:

500m	maximum thick ethernet cable length
185m	maximum thin  ethernet cable length
300m	maximum thin  ethernet cable length on a WD8003E-only network
		with WD8003E jumpered for this special mode
50m	maximum tranceiver/AUI cable length

Raymond Curci

--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (12/01/90)

In article <1482@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) writes:
>Maybe I can shed some light on the subject:
>
>500m	maximum thick ethernet cable length
Speaking of light;
	I heard that fiber optics, which is the ultimate "thin" net, thin is
just to describe the width of the wires, having a maximum length of
2400m.  Also the maximum transfer rate, given the proper communications
hardware is 100 Megabit througput.
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |